How About ReactOS For Servers?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

joe007

How About ReactOS For Servers?

Post by joe007 »

Are you planning to make it possible ?
PurpleGurl

Re: How About ReactOS For Servers?

Post by PurpleGurl »

Well, ReactOS is supposed to model after 2003 Server.
shunesburg

Post by shunesburg »

For the moment, the project is not ready for work, only for test.
The target is Windows Server 2003, but lot of components are not implemented.
middings

Post by middings »

I looked at the ReactOS.org home page, the FAQs listed under the "Discover More!" tab on the home page, and clicked the (almost hidden) "Wiki" link at the top of the home page then looked around at the links on that page. Nowhere there did I find an obvious mention or place to look for a mention that the ReactOS compatibility target is Microsoft Server 2003.

Joe007 asked "How about ReactOS for servers?" because we (the ReactOS project leaders and the community) hide the information from Joe007. We don't intend to but we do.

Update: I modified the page linked with the text "About ReactOS" on the "Welcome to the ReactOS Development Wiki" page. This link is under the heading "Documentation". This seemed like a place someone would expect to discover whether ReactOS is only a workstation operating system (OS) or can also act as a server OS. I added "Compatibility with Microsoft Server 2003 is the ReactOS design goal" to the first paragraph under the heading "What Is ReactOS" on that Wiki page.
Last edited by middings on Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Thats some of the facts which disappered with the change to the new site. Don't ask me why. The new site is nice, but IMO for a product in Beta, late Beta status. But I said that a couple of times and was ignored.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

EmuandCo wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:37 am Thats some of the facts which disappered with the change to the new site. Don't ask me why. The new site is nice, but IMO for a product in Beta, late Beta status. But I said that a couple of times and was ignored.
Understood and agreed! The fact that the site doesn't state this is unbelievable.

It should say target - 2003, status ALPHA! and a few other things like "use at your peril".

The wiki page https://reactos.org/wiki/ReactOS is doing a better job than the website at the moment. I would suggest adding a warning as to the project status and what ReactOS should/can be used for in its current Alpha state. I would do it myself but I am in captcha hell at the moment in my chosen browser.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.