react on opti-plex 960

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

dragonboyjazz

react on opti-plex 960

Post by dragonboyjazz »

[using react os 0.4.11 iso - have tried 0.4.8 and 0.4.6 none working with ethernet drivers - willing to switch iso if there is 1 thats known to fix this issue]

i have purchased a pc for react os specs are:
E8400 cpu (duel core)
4 GB ram 800mhz
160gig hdd
everything is stock, not addin card and no discrete gpu

react installs without a problem, the first time i tried it i installed the chipset drivers and network drivers from the dell website (xp drivers) and had internet and all was good, when i rebooted i was unable to connect to the internet, after fiddling with it a bit i broke it entirely and locked up react os shortly after i got a bsod lol, not sure why it broke just i guess i skipped the disk check to many times or corrupted something hard resetting the machine.. so i reformat and reinstalled react 4 times and still cant get internet working (ethernet no wifi) it just freezes the desktop as soon as the installer starts to actually try installing, the device manager found the driver on its own as i downloaeded the entire .cab from dell since i was not sure exactly what hardware this machine had (chipset/gpu/sound/etc).

i have downloaded the drivers separately now so i can try the network drivers on its own and i found the freezeing does not occur if i install the chipset drivers then the ethernet drivers but still appears to give not internet anymore, is anyone else having this issue or know of a fix to get ethernet working?
dragonboyjazz

Re: react on opti-plex 960

Post by dragonboyjazz »

i have taken a picture of the screen its frozen on if that helps identify the problem.

as you may be able to see in the background i have used the device manager to initiate this installation, i point it to the dvd i have all the drivers for this machine on and it has selected the driver for the hardware so that part appears to work, but when it finds that driver the pc locks up, no mouse and kb responce at all, i left it for about 20 mins and later that night about 45 mins and neither time it came back so it does not appear to just be slow as an ice glacier, but something is happening at that point to make it lock up.

i hope this helps someone resolve the issue , i would love to test some stuff, but i cant get on the internet to download any thing to test

[ external image ]
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

Which filesystem did you use? Fat32 or BTRFS?
ReactOS Donator ~ $5.00 | Linux Mint Donator ~ $1.00 in BTC
dragonboyjazz

Post by dragonboyjazz »

i used fat32
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

BTRFS will help prevent the corruption
ReactOS Donator ~ $5.00 | Linux Mint Donator ~ $1.00 in BTC
dragonboyjazz

Post by dragonboyjazz »

ok well, that failed miserably lol, i just reformat it with btrfs and it started bootlooping, no idea why, the installation was quick and appeared to go smoothly
middings

Re: ReactOS on Optiplex 960

Post by middings »

I have never seen ReactOS properly run Intel's driver installer software. Apparently, many years ago at least one person was able to install an Intel network interface driver on ReactOS. I believe the specific driver file(s) were unpacked from Intel's installation software then installed on ReactOS by placing the necessary file(s) in the correct locations on the hard disk. My test hardware (HP Pavilion 7965 desktop PC) also uses Intel network chips. I was never able to get older versions of ReactOS (0.4.5 and earlier) to load and run Intel's network interface driver for my PC's network hardware.

If you succeed, dragonboyjazz, be sure to come back here and let us know how you did it.
dragonboyjazz

Post by dragonboyjazz »

well i found the combo your looking for on a optiplex 960 i am not joking its 1:33 am and i was about to go to bed i thought i have to give it a crack for the lulz, and i found this driver combo in order or crash

this chipset driver:
https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER40697M ... 257446.EXE

ethernet driver automatically located in this .cab:
https://downloads.dell.com/folder005015 ... -4YKDP.CAB

i installed the chipset and then restart and change disk, my cd dont seem to open when im in the os every time and it wont hurt restarting, then i installed hten etwork driver and can access internet. hope u guys can make some sense of it and make better compatibility :D
dragonboyjazz

Post by dragonboyjazz »

sorry i forgot to mentio i was using this image: reactos-bootcd-0.4.11-dev-878-g8c710dc-x86-gcc-lin-dbg.7z
dragonboyjazz

Post by dragonboyjazz »

unfortunately it does not work every time, so ill back when i have the ability to test things
dragonboyjazz

Post by dragonboyjazz »

here is the process i have found that seems to work when installing the drivers
  • start by installing reactos as normal (reactos-bootcd-0.4.11-dev-878-g8c710dc-x86-gcc-lin-dbg.7z) (no freeze)
  • restart and swap cd/dvd to to the one containing the drivers (no freeze)
  • install the chipset driver then the network driver (network driver install will freeze)
  • hard-reset and wait for disk check like an impatient boss from the 90's (causes frustration and sometimes profane language)
  • install network drivers (no freeze with any luck)
sorry for posting so often
middings

Post by middings »

I forgot to mention that the best drivers to try are usually the drivers made for Windows Server 2003.
dragonboyjazz wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:47 amHere is the process i have found that seems to work when installing the drivers...
Thank you, dragonboyjazz, for describing step-by-step the process you used to install network interface controller (NIC) drivers on your Dell Optiplex 960 running ReactOS. You have helped others who experiment with ReactOS using PCs with Intel Ethernet NIC devices.
Sorry for posting so often.
Double-posting is discouraged here. Edit your prior post instead. This forum rule is mentioned in the Code of Conduct located in the Announcements section at the top of each sub-forum.

For the benefit of ReactOS forum readers who are not native speakers of English, try to use good conversational written English grammar, punctuation, and spelling. You don't have to be perfect, making a decent effort will be OK.
dragonboyjazz wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:13 pmI forgot to mention that I was using this image: reactos-bootcd-0.4.11-dev-878-g8c710dc-x86-gcc-lin-dbg.7z.
Thank you for mentioning the ReactOS image (version or release) you are using. And I'm glad to read that you are having some success with the Dell Optiplex 790's Ethernet driver even if "unfortunately it does not work every time".
ThFabba
Developer

Post by ThFabba »

I'm surprised nobody seems to have mentioned this yet: when ReactOS "hangs", the way to find out why is to look at the debug log, it's often a system crash.
You should either connect up another machine to your box's serial port, or choose the "ReactOS (Screen)" boot option. Do this on a fresh install of ROS, and try to run your driver installer -- see what comes up in the log, and if it's broken into the debugger, get a backtrace. This is the only way we'll ever be able to actually fix the problem.
https://www.reactos.org/wiki/Debugging has some details.