I think fork Media Player Classic as ReactOS Media Player is a good choice

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Adcock

Re: I think fork Media Player Classic as ReactOS Media Player is a good choice

Post by Adcock »

Can't we just provide the official webpage ( From where The User can download the software ) instead of direct download link in RAPPS?

If not then we can add official webpage as a link in case the download link is outdated.
( I think this has been done already, right ? )
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Adcock wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:33 pm Can't we just provide the official webpage ( From where The User can download the software ) instead of direct download link in RAPPS?

If not then we can add official webpage as a link in case the download link is outdated.
( I think this has been done already, right ? )

What? You need to do some research...
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Adcock

Post by Adcock »

Hmmm...
That's why I wasn't sure.
But give me a day or two.
Did I misunderstand something ?
If yes, then tell me. :)
middings

Post by middings »

Time to give RAPPS its own topic and get back on topic "Media Player" here.
Patchworks

Post by Patchworks »

binarymaster wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:23 pm I think for ReactOS its enough to have two built-in players: mplay32.exe which uses MCI API, and amovie.ocx thingy which uses DirectShow API and runs within rundll32 context.

Other more advanced third-party players can be installed from external sources.
I barelly agree: it could be better to have NO built-in players at all, instead of two "basic" ones (that anyway may "waste" some dev time)...
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

When something is part of Windows then it needs to be delivered eventually, in this case it happens to be a media player. Not the highest importance but there are simply higher priorities at this stage. It isn't just a case of a bit if software, Active X exposes Windows components to browsers and programs. Those pages and Windows applications will not work without those components. The bottom line is user's programs will not run on reactOS if the components aren't present.

Work and time has already been spent on ReactOS games acknowledging that stuff will be bundled. We are not asking for bundled software, we are requesting components of Windows to be replicated. They are icing on the cake when compared to important stuff like the kernel work but they are still essential for ReactOS to be a Windows NT5 replacement.

They'll come one day.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
florian

Post by florian »

Games like Solitaire etc. are less important than a Media Player. I wouldn't miss Minesweeper & Co...

Back to topic:

I like MPC-HC but AFAIK it's not anymore improved by further development, just updated since https://mpc-hc.org/2017/07/16/1.7.13-re ... -farewell/ due to a decreased number of active developers. Unfortunately.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

florian wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:04 pm I like MPC-HC but AFAIK it's not anymore improved by further development
That was the announcement from the original dev but subsequent to that another group took it on for further support. https://forum.doom9.org/ Regardless, it is an open source project that is completely functional.

Agreed with regard to a media player being more important than minesweeper. In addition no other Windows programs rely upon minesweeper for functionality.