Boot ReactOS from RamDisk with HDD image

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Illen

Boot ReactOS from RamDisk with HDD image

Post by Illen »

Is it possible to boot the actual ReactOS installation (with write access to the boot volume) from RamDisk? Live image is read-only, which limits me severely from doing anything. I have two modern machines, where USB boot (with VGal's build) or even CD boot (due to the AHCI controller unsupported by UniATA) is not possible, the only way to get ReactOS running on these is RAM boot. I already tried to boot from the RamDisk with HDD RAW image, and all I got is a INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE (0x0000007b) error, I couldn't get any further. Is it a RamDisk driver bug/limitation? Or I am doing something wrong? The log is here.
middings

Re: Boot ReactOS from RamDisk with HDD image

Post by middings »

You can answer your own questions. Use the search box at the top of these forum windows. Choose the "advanced search" button (it looks like a little gear or flower) near the "Search..." field in the box. After the complicated-looking Search screen appears, enter "RAMDisk" (the letter case does not matter) into the "Search for keywords" field. This is the uppermost field on the screen. Press Enter. Summaries of many forum entries that contain mentions of "RAMDisk" will appear. Click on some of the most promising and read them.
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

Illen wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:21 pm Is it possible to boot the actual ReactOS installation (with write access to the boot volume) from RamDisk?

Is it a RamDisk driver bug/limitation? Or I am doing something wrong?.
Currently ReactOS ramdisk driver doesn't have write support, it just creates read-only image in RAM.
Illen

Post by Illen »

middings wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:02 am You can answer your own questions. Use the search box at the top of these forum windows...
If I could find any recent and satisfying info regarding this thread subject, I wouldn't create it. Most of these threads are about booting the Live image or are old. I didn't find anyone having the similar issue either.
binarymaster wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:53 am Currently ReactOS ramdisk driver doesn't have write support, it just creates read-only image in RAM.
That's what I wanted to know, thanks :)