Last LibreOffice portable for Windows XP

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Quim

Last LibreOffice portable for Windows XP

Post by Quim »

For who want to use portable edition of LibreOffice under ReactOS, the last for Windows XP is (the only place where I can find it):
https://sourceforge.net/projects/portab ... 0Portable/

Until LibreOffice 6.x will be usable under ROS, using compatibility layer + some OS new APIs...
Quim

Re: Last LibreOffice portable for Windows XP

Post by Quim »

I forget that there is also Apache OpenOffice that still have Windows XP support:
https://www.openoffice.org/es/

And portable edition:
https://portableapps.com/apps/office/op ... e_portable

Are you going to test also LibreOffice 5.4.3 and OpenOffice 4.1.x documents as well @ctasan ?
Test described in this post:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18219
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

I am surprised that anyone is still working on OpenOffice. Almost all the OpenOffice developers moved to LibreOffice a few years ago. i think there is only 1 or 2 developers still at OpenOffice with maybe a few code submissions from community members here and there.

All the updates have mainly been minor bug fixes and updating dependencies with very few holes being fixed. I assume that they want to keep it alive for people who still use OpenOffice (the few that still do) and maybe for old systems like XP/Vista which LibreOffice no longer support.
Ancient

Post by Ancient »

If LibreOffice is open source, can't it be compiled in 32 bit?
Reactions

Post by Reactions »

Ancient wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:53 am If LibreOffice is open source, can't it be compiled in 32 bit?
Here's a link to the source code if you want to try.

https://donate.libreoffice.org/home/dl/ ... r.xz?idx=1
Please support/share my Patreon! Helps so much! https://www.patreon.com/reactions
Quim

Post by Quim »

ROCKNROLLKID wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:47 pm for old systems like XP/Vista which LibreOffice no longer support.
That is ideal for ROS until NT 6.x APIs will be enough to run LibreOffice 6.x or even the last version....
Which APIs and more things still need LibreOffice 6.2.2 in order to be usable?
Could be possible to run it in an NT 5.2 environment just adding Windows 7 APIs without modifying the kernel so much ?

Some tests in 0.4.12 dev build 985-g6eadbfb using OpenOffice 4.1.6 installer and portable works and it is obviously listed in RApps database (the previous version at least).
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

As soon as ReactOS becomes a credible alternative - at the very least in a beta version, builds of various apps specifically for ReactOS (NT5/6) will start and NT5 support for various apps will resurface. Devs currently have no need to take ReactOS into account at the moment as it basically unusable - but that does not need to worry us. All we need to do is test the last working version of any software to prove that an NT5 version of the software runs.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
cb88

Post by cb88 »

dupe
Last edited by cb88 on Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cb88

Post by cb88 »

"various apps will resurface"

That is almost certainly not true... if ReactOS wants to support current applications the next target is Windows 7 compatibility, and after that Windows 10. GCC and LLVM will probably not revive support for XP. Instead of expecting outside developers to bring back kluges to keep XP code working, ReactOS should just implement the required bits of the newer releases.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Yes they will. Of course they will. As an o/s gains credibility and users then developers will automatically note it as a potential target. Anyone with competence can take an open source project and refactor it for an o/s that is very close to the original target especially when all the tools exist, the skills are no different and the o/s is ready to roll. I will be doing exactly that with some software that is the perfect match for ReactOS. NT5 compatibility will be assured and NT6 will be coming/partially in place.

As an example, I have just installed XP and I have a supported and working browser, word processor suite, the vast majority of my tools work on it with current versions. Apache Open office vs Libre Office? how hard would it be for Libre to create a NT5 version if a supported target existed? Not that hard I'd say as Apache still have that compatibility.

In any case, ReactOS will be Windows whilst Windows will become something else. The two will fork in different directions and Windows will morph into an unusable UWP monster, the usual all-deprecating mess that MS inevitably creates. Even if they are successful Windows will become something else and not Windows as we know it. This why we NEED ReactOS. ReactOS will become de facto 'Windows' home for the majority of traditional style win32/MFC/Delphi apps.

That is of course if it ever finishes development or gets to a state where it is truly usable as an NT5 o/s.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

Your real issue is that "Windows is not Windows". It is a permanently moving target. You have two options:

- create a sort of "legacy OS" like FreeDOS (and optionally: develop from there to new heights, the way C64 still gets improvements...); or

- "run after the main target", but here, you clearly have a question of whether you even CONVERGE on your target. - (ReactOS has always gone for this option so far.)