Qualcomm Snapdragon 8cx

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Ancient

Qualcomm Snapdragon 8cx

Post by Ancient »

Qualcomm recently announced the Snapdragon 8cx, which is designed for Windows 10 on ARM as a laptop / tablet alternative to Intel / AMD. It supposedly has a very improved GPU, is 64 bit ARM based, and has a maximum TDP of 7 watts. It can support up to 2 4K output devices (personally this seems doubtful to me), and is a system on chip similar to other Snapdragon devices (it has Wi-Fi, LTE, GPS and other support, but also PCI-E and older USB 3.1 technology).

Announced with this is a Windows 10, Office 365, Firefox. Vendors supporting it include Symantec, VmWare, Cisco. 8 core, 5G capable, up to 7 provider aggregation (not certain how) claimed maximum throughput of 2 Gbs. It claims to work with 90% of cell systems at gigabit or faster speeds.

Announcement is here https://www.qualcomm.com/news/onq/2018/ ... ragon-ever

Microsoft has been developing Windows 10 for ARM for some time, this is a second shot at it, Windows 10 for ARM will ship with an X86 interpreter permitting unmodified X86 binaries to run on ARM.

Phones, tablets and laptops using this chip will be out in a few months. Newer versions of this chip which are more powerful will be produced.

Windows isn't just an Intel / AMD thing anymore. It makes sense for Microsoft to move in this direction.

How close is ROS to attaining an X86 single core 32 bit beta? Windows is a moving target, and if this is successful folks will want integrated GPS, Bluetooth, and 4G or 5G with their 8 to 128 core PC. I understand resources are tight and development is slow, but the evolution of Windows will cause the project goal of ROS beta to be less interesting over time. Beta and USB boot are important, as is 64 bit support as is multi core support.

I hope the development team here can assimilate the various changes happening and determine targets for ROS after the initial beta is complete. Your concept is wonderful, and Microsoft is evil, but it's evil is moving while Linux suffers social justice.
binarymaster

Re: Qualcomm Snapdragon 8cx

Post by binarymaster »

That's actually good news, the more Windows on ARM devices will be available, the higher would be the chance to get developers for ReactOS ARM/ARM64 Port.

Once these devices would be available in the market I'll update my ARM thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17977
Ancient

Re: Qualcomm Snapdragon 8cx

Post by Ancient »

Here is a demonstration of the Qualcomm Snapdragon 8cx on a laptop with Windows 10 Pro. This is a prototype, but includes a LTE SIM card. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3xvfDACiWs

It's 8 cores, 4 high power, 4 low power, 8 GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro. Supposedly can run for days without a recharge. Claims to be comparable in performance to an I5 U series chip. Not great as a CPU / GPU, but for a Snapdragon, amazing. Anyway watching the video was entertaining. Intel and AMD will have a tough time matching performance and power. The high / low CPU is different than most PC users are used to. Note, no chrome installed. Windows is going to Chromium. For the moment the only browser they used is Edge which is soon to depart. In the video he crashes the laptop by setting the display to 4K resolution. As this was a permitted resolution by the system, it still has some bugs to work out.