Summary of experiences

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

pozzo

Summary of experiences

Post by pozzo »

Hi all,

I ran ReactOS successfully in Virtualbox. I was not so lucky with Qemu, which I prefer, as the network did not function. Virtualbox is produced by a company that I do not trust, and I'm not sure why Virtualbox asked to read my calendar data on MacOS, that's kinda sketchy.

Overall I like what I see in the latest release of ReactOS. I feel like the day is approaching when I can dump Windows XP and the update/incompatibility hell that Microsoft wants to put me through.

But FYI I was not able to update Firefox to the latest version and I noticed that website images in Firefox were corrupted.

Thanks for your efforts.
Adcock

Re: Summary of experiences

Post by Adcock »

Hi,
Welcome pozzo.
Good to see you happy with the results.

Did you try any version of Firefox above 52.9.0 ESR ?
What is the latest version of Firefox you tested ( on ReactOS ) ?
Note this.
This may have nothing to do with images but may be the cause of update problem.

Now, Virtualbox on MacOS!
:shock:
pozzo

Post by pozzo »

Hi adcock,
I did try the very latest FF and it didn't run, no doubt because it isn't compatible as your linked page indicated.
But FF 48 does run.

As of today I did get ReactOS in Qemu to access the Internet. I'm not sure what the problem was earlier.
I ran it using this command:

Code: Select all

qemu-system-x86_64   -m 1512 -hda React.vdi -boot c -usb -net nic,model=ne2k_pci -net user
Things to try next:
Chrome
Cygwin
TOR browser
middings

Post by middings »

Hi, pozzo. Thank you for reporting what you did that seemed to resolve the problem you encountered. Sharing the exact command you used could be very helpful to others.

One other thing. Please, please, please always mention the version, version, version of any software you experiment with on ReactOS.
pozzo

Post by pozzo »

By the way one issue I am still seeing with qemu-3.0.0 x64 is that the ACPI device driver is not being found. I believe the same happened with qemu-3.0.0 i386.

Also I have found a bug in React 0.4.12 running on qemu-3.0.0 x64: Not running any app, when I copied a large number of files from a CDROM using drag and drop to the desktop, I tried to close the window showing those files. This caused the entire desktop UI of React OS to crash and restart, which of course stopped the copy operation. ReactOS itself did not restart-- just the desktop UI.

When I left the CDROM's window open, the copy operation went to completion.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

pozzo wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:37 am ...I'm not sure why Virtualbox asked to read my calendar data on MacOS, that's kinda sketchy.
Sketchy? - What is unclear to you and why would you ask us to throw light on this? This is the reactOS forum and not the Virtualbox forum.

Virtualbox is used here by the majority. If Virtualbox is working correctly and QEMU is not then perhaps raise the issues with the QEMU team?
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
middings

Post by middings »

pozzo wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:29 pm...I have found a bug in React 0.4.12 running on qemu-3.0.0 x64: Not running any app, when I copied a large number of files from a CDROM using drag and drop to the desktop, I tried to close the window showing those files. This caused the entire desktop UI of React OS to crash and restart, which of course stopped the copy operation. ... When I left the CDROM's window open, the copy operation went to completion.
This appears to be the bug vicmarcal reported in CORE-12345, "Drag&Drop fails to copy folders from a Cd-driver to Desktop".

I found this two year old bug by using JIRA to search the CORE project using the search string "close folder copy".