ReactOS 0.4.10 on Qemu 3.0.0 problems

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

pozzo

ReactOS 0.4.10 on Qemu 3.0.0 problems

Post by pozzo »

Hi all,
Running ReactOS 0.4.10 in Qemu 3.0.0, I find the following problems.

- No sound works, not even the PC speaker. I tried SB16, AC97, HDA and PC speaker.
- The ACPI device never finds a driver.
- If I open a folder of files, try to copy them to the desktop, and before it finishes the copy I close the folder, the copy fails and the desktop UI crashes and restarts itself.
- If I open a folder of files, get the properties of a file, and while it properties is open, I close the folder, the properties window fails and gives an error.
- VLC video player seems to freeze. It claims to be playing but the video never moves.
- SMplayer plays video at a normal speed but also locks up the entire ReactOS UI so that I can't click on anything else and I can't stop or pause the playback.
- When shutdown fails to work, if I had used FAT for my filesystem, a forced shutdown ruins the FAT file system and it can't be repaired.

Things that are good:

- Qemu i386 runs ReactOS i386 visibly faster than does Qemu x64.
- Cirrus video driver works and is fast.
- SMplayer plays video (no sound) as the expected speed.

I will try Qemu 3.1.0 next...
ctasan

Re: ReactOS 0.4.10 on Qemu 3.0.0 problems

Post by ctasan »

Please report problems you have found on JIRA (bugtracker) with a debug log.
ReactOS Community Changelogs | Admin of ReactOS Official Twitter Account | Admin of ReactOS Turkish Twitter Account @reactos_tr
middings

Re: ReactOS 0.4.10 on Qemu 3.0.0 problems

Post by middings »

This time, pozzo, you picked a much better title for your topic than "Summary of experiences". Others in the future who search the ReactOS forums will be better able to determine if this topic is helpful to them. Thank you.

First, search the ReactOS web site for "known problems". The first link returned by Bing was the "Known Issues" page in the ReactOS Wiki. The Known Issues page includes a link to the "Missing ReactOS Functionality" page in the ReactOS Wiki. There is no need to report known issues or documented missing functionality (features) on JIRA (the ReactOS project's bug tracker). This needlessly adds to the burden of JIRA traffic that the developers receive in their e-mail.

Second, before making any bug report in JIRA please do these things:
  1. Verify that the bug exists in the most recent ReactOS release. Better yet, verify that the bug exists in the most recent daily build If using a virtual machine (VM), please verify that the bug still occurs in the most recent release of that VM.
  2. Attempt to search JIRA for an existing report of the bug you encountered. If there is an existing report of the bug you saw and that bug is not marked "Resolved" then add any new information that you can contribute as a comment on that bug report. For bug reports over a year old, even a comment as simple as "bug still exists in (release/build)" is useful.
When making a new bug report in JIRA, please mention the search strings used when checking for an existing report of the same bug. This will help the developers identify and tag duplicate reports of the same bug. Some bugs manifest themselves in many different ways. An experimenter looking at a ReactOS bug on the screen and a developer waist-deep in ReactOS code usually describe the same bug in very different words.
pozzo wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:40 am- No sound works, not even the PC speaker. I tried SB16, AC97, HDA and PC speaker.
https://reactos.org/wiki/Known_Issues#Audio
- The ACPI device never finds a driver.
https://www.reactos.org/wiki/UEFI#ACPI
- If I open a folder of files, try to copy them to the desktop, and before it finishes the copy I close the folder, the copy fails and the desktop UI crashes and restarts itself.
This appears to be the bug vicmarcal reported in CORE-12345, "Drag&Drop fails to copy folders from a Cd-driver to Desktop".
- If I open a folder of files, get the properties of a file, and while it properties is open, I close the folder, the properties window fails and gives an error.
This may also be a manifestation of CORE-12345.
- VLC video player seems to freeze. It claims to be playing but the video never moves.
Others have reported better results with VLC Player but many problems remain. Please identify the version you are using. Try again with the most recent version of Qemu VM. JIRA issue CORE-12271, "ROS does not play videos if you have installed guest additions" might be relevant because you are using a VM.
- SMplayer plays video at a normal speed but also locks up the entire ReactOS UI so that I can't click on anything else and I can't stop or pause the playback.
Please identify the version of SMPlayer you are using. Try again with the most recent version of Qemu VM. There are very few unresolved issues in JIRA that specifically name SMPlayer. There are many JIRA issues that mention "video".
- When shutdown fails to work, if I had used FAT for my filesystem, a forced shutdown ruins the FAT file system and it can't be repaired.
Ouch. I assume by "shutdown" you mean ReactOS's shutdown method and by "forced shutdown" you mean using Qemu's method of shutting down the VM instance that is running ReactOS.
I will try Qemu 3.1.0 next...
Using the most up-to-date versions of VM, driver, and application software that are compatible with ReactOS's design target (Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP SP3) when experimenting with ReactOS is always a good idea.