Google Summer of Code 2019 Ideas

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

justincase

Re: Google Summer of Code 2019 Ideas

Post by justincase »

Sorry to double-post, but I wanted to keep the two subjects separated.

So the Organization Application Deadline was February 6th. Today's the 7th.
Did ReactOS apply before the deadline passed?
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
shunesburg

Post by shunesburg »

justincase wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:08 pm
shunesburg wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:55 pmReactOS target to replace Windows, and Windows use Gecko.
Actually, Microsoft doesn't use Gecko for anything.
We're discussing mshtml.dll, which (in Windows) supplies Trident, the engine behind Internet Explorer.
Sorry, but it's not totally true, Windows doesn't use Gecko it's true, but an house equivalent in mshtml.dll, we use Gecko name by language abuse, and because we use Gecko for alternative in ReactOS.

Windows use mshtml.dll for the offline help, for some component of explorer.exe (the file manager), for Internet Explorer there is Trident but also Gecko for some component (and IE11 is always in W10), and some third party applications use also mshtml.dll.

And the target of ReactOS is Windows Server 2003, not Windows 10.
justincase

Post by justincase »

Sorry to burst your bubble shunesburg, but Mozilla Gecko is not used anywhere in any version (to date) of Microsoft Windows. Wine and ReactOS use Gecko via Wine-Gecko as a replacement where Microsoft uses Trident. In Windows 10, Microsoft also uses EdgeHTML in Edge, and Trident in IE, they don't use Gecko anywhere. However, this discussion has nothing to do with the topic of this thread, so again:
justincase wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:08 pmIf you want to continue this discussion about browsers and their engines, please do so in the HTML Renderers topic.
Now, can this thread please stay on topic:
justincase wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:13 pmThe Organization Application Deadline was February 6th. ... Did ReactOS apply before the deadline passed?
And if so, when are we likely to know if ReactOS has been accepted?
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
shunesburg

Post by shunesburg »

justincase wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:32 am Sorry to burst your bubble shunesburg, but Mozilla Gecko is not used anywhere
No problem, I'm not against the positive critical comment.
justincase wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:32 am but Mozilla Gecko is not used anywhere in any version (to date) of Microsoft Windows. Wine and ReactOS use Gecko via Wine-Gecko as a replacement where Microsoft uses Trident.
You said just the same think as me (shunesburg wrote:" Windows doesn't use Gecko it's true, but an house equivalent in mshtml.dll, we use Gecko name by language abuse, and because we use Gecko for alternative in ReactOS.").
justincase wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:32 am In Windows 10, Microsoft also uses EdgeHTML in Edge, and Trident in IE
Yes, but don't forget, the target is Windows Server 2003 not Windows 10.
justincase wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:32 am they don't use Gecko anywhere.
It's true, I don't said the reverse. But Windows itself use, the term Gecko in UserAgent, because mshtml.dll is an equivalent and reimplement some features of Gecko. We can use Webkit in replacement of Gecko for mshtml.dll, but why changed, it works and you have no gain to implement Webkit (I mean for the moment, it will lost of time), but maybe in the future. There are lot of think in need to implement like USB, various drivers... Gecko is not the best, but works fine.
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

I am pleased to announce that ReactOS, Freetype, and Wine have all gotten accepted into GSOC this year.

https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/organizations
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Superb! We look forward to hearing more.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.