Third party criticism to ReactOS project

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

hbelusca
Developer

Re: Third party criticism to ReactOS project

Post by hbelusca »

RoCall just maintains the list of system calls and call these with invalid parameters, that's it. So there's no danger using that tool.
justincase

Post by justincase »

Realistically, the best way to handle something like this is to ignore the defamatory posts, and someone run some tests on their own using his tool, then make a bug report on JIRA about their findings. Possibly multiple, depending on how related/unrelated they seem to be. Then this person should try to work with the devs to fix these issues, and not bother responding to the original defamatory post.

This way people who find the defamatory post and test it themselves will (eventually) see that the defamers claims are no longer accurate, lending credibility to us, and taking credibility from the defamer, these people will likely post back to tell the defamer that his claims don't hold up, and people who look through our JIRA, or who try to look deeper into this person's claims and find the JIRA reports, will see that if you go through the right channels, the ReactOS project will fix their issues.

Perhaps by dealing with such posts in this manner in the future, we can calmly continue our work without a chance for people to claim that we stoop to low levels, and we may even be able to get people like this guy to try actually reporting issues like these to us through the proper channels.
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

+1
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
jimtabor
Developer

Post by jimtabor »

There was a paid audit of all your code made in 2015. Results were really terrifying.
Can someone elaborate about this?
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

jimtabor wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:27 am
There was a paid audit of all your code made in 2015. Results were really terrifying.
Can someone elaborate about this?
I was afraid to ask, but..... yeah ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

I didn't know there was a paid audit several years back. I only knew about the first one.

So that begs some questions. Did the audit originate with ROS? If not, then who did it? And what/where are the findings? I will search the web and see if anything comes up.

Also, maybe information about the first audit should be removed from the site or at least not exposed to the web. For instance, take this newsletter:

https://reactos.org/reactos-dead-welcome-reactos

That looks like some of the ammunition for this guy.
ThFabba
Developer

Post by ThFabba »

And now we're doing what everyone agreed _wasn't_ a good idea: discussing the criticism beyond the technical...

I've never heard of this "paid audit" thing, so I'd personally assume that the guy made it up.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Maybe he did to have some f00d for his crap. Anyways. I'd say discussion is over. Cya
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...