React(tion) is not good so far.

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jp42simm

React(tion) is not good so far.

Post by jp42simm »

In the past six months or so I've tried ReactOS twice. Download, burn (live) and try to boot. It never has booted successfully. I've tried it on three computers ranging in age from 4 to 8 years old. If it begins to boot at all the window manager starts but the mouse and keyboard are not functional. That includes touch pad. Another time I began to boot and got a blue screen of death. Other attempts result in freezing during boot. BTW I've downloaded ISO and burned several times. I doubt I am using a faulty disk.

I have tons of old Windows games on DVD but I don't use Windows any more. I don't much care for Virtual Box on Linux because I want a full sized window, not a smaller one in which to work. ReactOS promises to be just what I'm looking for except I think it's not yet perfected.

Am I right? Will it be a while longer? I'm very patient.
dizt3mp3r

Re: React(tion) is not good so far.

Post by dizt3mp3r »

You'll have to be VERY patient, two to three years perhaps to beta.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
karlexceed

Re: React(tion) is not good so far.

Post by karlexceed »

jp42simm wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:32 pmburn (live) and try to boot.
Are these release versions, or nightly builds? Also, if you have a spare hard drive around, try downloading the boot CD and actually installing ROS.
jp42simm wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:32 pm mouse and keyboard are not functional. That includes touch pad.
Laptops are troublesome for ReactOS and the currently limited hardware support. It's also worth pointing out that USB devices are known not to work well yet.
jp42simm wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:32 pm began to boot and got a blue screen of death. Other attempts result in freezing during boot.
As is to be expected from alpha release software that's intended for testing purposes only.
jp42simm wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:32 pm I think it's not yet perfected. Am I right?
Indeed.

If you're feeling adventurous, try VGal's USB builds: http://vgal.ru.com/reactos-0-4-10-new-usb/