Reasons for ReactOS Wiki

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

PurpleGurl

Reasons for ReactOS Wiki

Post by PurpleGurl »

The 57 reasons thread began to drift off topic. So I created this thread to discuss the wiki page inspired by the 57 reasons without polluting the original thread and its intent.
oldman wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:08 am What about a bullet point to each reason on the page Reasons for ReactOS? And a link from the front page of the wiki to the page.

There are other pages on the wiki that have no link to them and are basically lost within the wiki, these also need a link from the front page.
Well, I don't think bullet points would be the best since I intended for it to be done in a more conversational style, such as used in promotional materials for products. That said, I do think links would be appropriate.
middings

Re: Reasons for ReactOS Wiki

Post by middings »

oldman wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:08 amWhat about... a link from the front page of the wiki to the page(?)
Was it PurpleGurl who placed a link to the Reasons for ReactOS page within the the About ReactOS page in the ReactOS Wiki? Whoever did that made a good choice, I believe. The About ReactOS page is the first page listed under the heading Documentation on the ReactOS Wiki's home page (front page). The Wiki's home page is crowded and seems intended as a place for only the most top-level of the Wiki's topics.
oldman

Post by oldman »

middings wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:32 am The Wiki's home page is crowded and seems intended as a place for only the most top-level of the Wiki's topics.
I find it difficult to find my way around the wiki. There are pages that I know exist, but do not know how to find them, unless I have a good idea what the title is. So my suggestion would be, to have an heading and link on the front page of the wiki, linking to a contents list with a brief explanation, like I have done for my layman's guides.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
ctasan

Post by ctasan »

You can take a look for unlinked pages. Wiki has some special tools. If there's a very good stuff, it's best to link it in Main Page.
ReactOS Community Changelogs | Admin of ReactOS Official Twitter Account | Admin of ReactOS Turkish Twitter Account @reactos_tr
middings

Post by middings »

Yes, presently unlinked (orphaned) ReactOS Wiki content can be linked by adding a link to it from the main/home/front page of the Wiki or by making a page already linked at the home page of the Wiki the orphaned page's new parent page. I believe the latter case should be the most commonly used option.

If those solutions are unsatisfactory, consider adding a new topic category to the home page of the Wiki and placing a link to the orphaned page there.

P.S. Hunting for content on the ReactOS web site by prefixing a web search engine's search string with site:ReactOS.org often unearths content that the ReactOS web site's own search function(s) doesn't deliver.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

middings wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:32 am Was it PurpleGurl who placed a link to the Reasons for ReactOS page within the the About ReactOS page in the ReactOS Wiki? Whoever did that made a good choice, I believe. The About ReactOS page is the first page listed under the heading Documentation on the ReactOS Wiki's home page (front page). The Wiki's home page is crowded and seems intended as a place for only the most top-level of the Wiki's topics.
Yes, I did. I figured that linking from similar or related pages would be good.
middings wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:46 pmP.S. Hunting for content on the ReactOS web site by prefixing a web search engine's search string with site:ReactOS.org often unearths content that the ReactOS web site's own search function(s) doesn't deliver.
Yes, and a good portion of that has to do with it being case sensitive. I find that in the hyperlinks too... so you have to use the exact case as the original, and if that is not suitable, you'd have to assign it an alias when you link to it using the pipe redirect thing.

Orphan pages:
https://reactos.org/wiki/Special:LonelyPages