New to Reactos Hello real test report

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Lorne C

New to Reactos Hello real test report

Post by Lorne C »

Hello all!

My name is Lorne Craig. Heard about reactos from a youtube channel called Explainingcomputers. My computer skills fall just about the "can find power switch" crowd. But not by much.

Downloaded 0.4.10 First try at a ISO boot failed, I assume because I wrote to a CD. Second try on a DVD did the trick.

Installed on an old lap top intercepted on its journey to the scrap pile. Lap top is a Acer Aspire 5315-2582(?) Originally with Vista installed.

Celeron 550, 2ghz 550 bus and 1mb L2
1gb DDr2
160gb HD

So far I see I need a driver for the LAn and a chip set

Built in mouse pad is incredibly slow even with settings maxed.

USB not functional/ recognised.

Grabbed an old W98 era game to see what happens but it did not show up in explorer.

But other than that I'd say we are off to a good start.
florian

Re: New to Reactos Hello real test report

Post by florian »

Please be aware of ReactOS still beeing alpha and thus not yet recommended to replace Windows. Or, if you don't like to follow a link to Wikipedia, here's a short definition:

"The alpha phase of the release life cycle is the first phase to begin software testing. [...] Alpha software can be unstable and could cause crashes or data loss. Alpha software may not contain all of the features that are planned for the final version. [...]"
Lorne C

Post by Lorne C »

Hi Florian. No worries. I just installed it on an old pc to play with. I still have to figure out how to get some drivers into it. Presently it looks like my USB, optical drive and LAN are not functional. I have not tried the COM port yet. I'll figure something out i hope!
middings

Post by middings »

Explore the ReactOS Wiki. The Known Issues and Missing ReactOS Functionality pages are useful to experimenters inexperienced with ReactOS.