Anonymous contributions apply in ReactOS project?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Quim

Anonymous contributions apply in ReactOS project?

Post by Quim »

Do ReactOS project accepts contributions from anonymous people?
For codes it is understandable (for the Open Source Windows, all code sources must be well known) but, having real names while adding applications in RApps?
You can just do intensive reviews and testing to corroborate which applications are and if they really works on ReactOS.

And also a dev says it should not be a mandatory requirement:
https://chat.reactos.org/reactos/pl/gsg ... i574pw6aac
Quim

Re: Anonymous contributions apply in ReactOS project?

Post by Quim »

And if I remember well, there was some code (not deleted) in ReactOS that don´t have its author, just lot of "?" .
I think it was on the last versions of 0.3.x in things related to audio....
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Probably not due to concerns of its source.
Quim

Post by Quim »

PurpleGurl wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:49 am Probably not due to concerns of its source.
In ReactOS coding is obvious that real names must be used...it is matter of reputation and surviving of the project....

but what about the case of adding new applications in RApps database?
It is just texts and images....
Is there a danger in RApps of accepting anonymous applications pull requests?
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Would you like a dirty pull request? But even worse, would you like to see a dirty one you don't even know is dirty?
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

PurpleGurl wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:44 am Would you like a dirty pull request? But even worse, would you like to see a dirty one you don't even know is dirty?
Not in the ReactOS source code base of course.
But for a rapps-db entry I don't see why it should be necessary. In the PR everybody can see which app is proposed and its download link and judge of the legality of it; this doesn't have to involve who submitted it. And in case of doubt we put a comment in the PR and if no reaction from the submitter (or a bad reaction) we can just close it. I don't see why it would be more "legal" that "John Doe" adds a rapps-db PR for adding a download to a legitimate MS redistributable runtime, for example, instead of "chihuahua007" proposing the same thing.
I however see why it is important to use a full legal name for submitting ReactOS source code.

(DISCLAIMER: This is my own personal point of view and does not reflect the current official ReactOS project view on this subject.)
Quim

Post by Quim »

hbelusca wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:22 pm
PurpleGurl wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:44 am Would you like a dirty pull request? But even worse, would you like to see a dirty one you don't even know is dirty?
Not in the ReactOS source code base of course.
But for a rapps-db entry I don't see why it should be necessary. In the PR everybody can see which app is proposed and its download link and judge of the legality of it; this doesn't have to involve who submitted it. And in case of doubt we put a comment in the PR and if no reaction from the submitter (or a bad reaction) we can just close it. I don't see why it would be more "legal" that "John Doe" adds a rapps-db PR for adding a download to a legitimate MS redistributable runtime, for example, instead of "chihuahua007" proposing the same thing.
I however see why it is important to use a full legal name for submitting ReactOS source code.
(DISCLAIMER: This is my own personal point of view and does not reflect the current official ReactOS project view on this subject.)
I support your opinion. :D
Quim

Post by Quim »

What about fake names?
How can you check if the names are real?
Is there the possibility of someones that has contributed to ReactOS and his/her name was fake, and you never realized?
ThFabba
Developer

Post by ThFabba »

It's a question of due diligence. If someone uses a non-obvious fake name, it means they're deceiving us and actively avoiding getting their identity checked. That likely puts us in a better position, legally, than doing nothing and letting people contribute without attempting to verify anything.
If somebody contributed "dirty" code, it would let us argue that "we didn't know", rather than "we didn't care". It's not much, but it could be an important difference.
Quim

Post by Quim »

ThFabba wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:49 pm If someone uses a non-obvious fake name, it means they're deceiving us and actively avoiding getting their identity checked. .
Do you have a professional mechanism or something to check if a name is real?
Or you cannot be sure if a name could be invented?
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Quim wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:57 pm
ThFabba wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:49 pm If someone uses a non-obvious fake name, it means they're deceiving us and actively avoiding getting their identity checked. .
Do you have a professional mechanism or something to check if a name is real?
Or you cannot be sure if a name could be invented?
By the way, I wonder if the Wine project has such a similar verification mechanism.
learn_more
Developer

Post by learn_more »

Quim is actively trying to waste our time by creating a ton of fake accounts and submitting low quality PR's.
I suggest we stop responding to him entirely.
Quim

Post by Quim »

hbelusca wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:08 pm By the way, I wonder if the Wine project has such a similar verification mechanism.
I mean ReactOS project verification mechanism. :!:
Quim

Post by Quim »

learn_more wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:28 pm Quim is actively trying to waste our time by creating a ton of fake accounts.
Only a proffesional spammer can do "tons" of accounts. I am not a proffesional spammer.
You are overreacting.
You can ask each of these accounts to see....and PRs are public, without the obligation to merge...

PRs meged like ZinjaI (not bad quality PR) is important, to have a more stable C/C++ IDE in RApps, Dev C++ IDEs are still unstable....
ReactOS still has no Wowexec , wrapper, or something to run 16 bits setup installer so IsEngine3/5 setup files are necesary.
MobaLiveCD is an intuitive (QEMU using command line is not intuitive) tiny QEMU, but it is still not fully usable under ROS, so no PR about it should be merged yet...
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Let me share a parallel example for clarity, and in agreement with what Thomas said. I'm not hijacking, just using analogy. A common problem is fake schools, AKA diploma mills. Those are bad enough, but then some go through the trouble of deceiving by also creating fake accreditation boards. When the US government investigated a fake school with fake accreditors, they checked the student roster. Some of the students attending had names such as Papa Smurf, Bugs Bunny, and various other fictional names, as well as names of deceased famous people such as former US presidents. So those running the "school" and the "accreditation board" (which was a "front" for the school and ran by the same people) didn't care, and obviously, we don't want that situation here. So I get why real names are required, since if ROS is ever called into scrutiny, obviously fake names will draw attention to things. So I support current policy on that.