Are GPT disks and SSD drives supported?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tyco72

Are GPT disks and SSD drives supported?

Post by Tyco72 »

Hello everybody. I am very interested on ReactOS since a long time. I wanted ask whether GPT partitions and SSD drives are supported. Looking at the installer, it looks that GPT disks are not yet supported.

Soon I would like to arrange some hardware to test React OS. The problem is that the support of GPT drives larger than 2TB (not mandatory as boot drives, in this moment) and SSD drives should be present.
I hope that these features will be implemented soon, otherwise it will be possible to use Reactos only on old or outdated hardware. Also the correct support of SSD drives is crucial, or their lifetime will be reduced.
erkinalp

Re: Are GPT disks and SSD drives supported?

Post by erkinalp »

SSDs do work, but ReactOS is not optimised for them.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Support for GPT disks is not complete and not activated in ReactOS.
Tyco72

Post by Tyco72 »

Thank you. I will see what I can do with my hardware.
I have read that also the NTFS file system is still not actually supported. But since Linux supports it since a long time, and the code of Linux is open, why the is the same code not implemented (or ported) in ReactOS?
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Because it has to be done in a NT-compatible way, not in a "linux"-way.
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

Tyco72 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:39 pm since Linux supports it since a long time, and the code of Linux is open, why the is the same code not implemented (or ported) in ReactOS?
Superglue and cement both stick things together, but you use one instead of the other depending on what you're trying to assemble. Knowing how cement works is good, but it doesn't necessarily mean that you can then make your own superglue.
middings

Post by middings »

The File Systems page in the ReactOS Wiki has answers to Tyco72's questions. ("Search before you ask" is always good practice when using a technical forum such as this.)

I direct Tyco72's attention to the page's NTFS section and these topics in the page's Frequently Answered Questions (FAQ) section:
  • Why isn't NTFS supported in ReactOS?
  • WHY ROS WILL NOT WORK ON NTFS/ZFS/REISER4/WHATEVER RIGHT NOW
The information on the page lags the current state of ReactOS by a little bit. Still, the discussion of NTFS implementation difficulties and why a NTFS file handler suitable for Linux can't be bolted onto ReactOS after just some easy adjustments to its code remains informative.