Trying to get companies to support ReactOS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

middings

Re: Trying to get companies to support ReactOS

Post by middings »

My understanding is that a goal of the ReactOS project is to allow drivers for Microsoft Windows XP/Server 2003 to work 'out of the box'. No special ReactOS-only drivers should be required. If at this time ReactOS lacks its own versions of necessary "dll files that are found within (Microsoft's version of) (W)indows", rendering engine, APIs, and whatever else may be required for compatibility with ReactOS's design target (i.e., "whatnot") then I suppose the ReactOS developers (devs) intend to eventually write them.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

However, that said, the older drivers are no longer being made, and there is newer hardware without 2003 drivers.

And yes, if XP/2003 has it and we don't, in most cases, the devs will eventually write them if possible.
oldman

Post by oldman »

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/whatnot
whatnot

noun

1 informal Used to refer to an item or items that are not identified but are felt to have something in common with items already named.
little flashing digital displays, electric zooms and whatnots
pictures and books and manuscripts and whatnot
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

oldman wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:36 am https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/whatnot
whatnot

noun

1 informal Used to refer to an item or items that are not identified but are felt to have something in common with items already named.
little flashing digital displays, electric zooms and whatnots
pictures and books and manuscripts and whatnot
Yes, of course, I remember now it was definitely and specifically one of those that blocked my program from further development.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
shunesburg

Post by shunesburg »

middings wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:48 am My understanding is that a goal of the ReactOS project is to allow drivers for Microsoft Windows XP/Server 2003 to work 'out of the box'. No special ReactOS-only drivers should be required. If at this time ReactOS lacks its own versions of necessary "dll files that are found within (Microsoft's version of) (W)indows", rendering engine, APIs, and whatever else may be required for compatibility with ReactOS's design target (i.e., "whatnot") then I suppose the ReactOS developers (devs) intend to eventually write them.
Maybe the best think to do, is to change the target for NT6 (Windows 7/8) or NT10 (Windows 10), but keep the compatibility with old drivers too (NT5).
Reactions

Post by Reactions »

shunesburg wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:13 pm
middings wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:48 am My understanding is that a goal of the ReactOS project is to allow drivers for Microsoft Windows XP/Server 2003 to work 'out of the box'. No special ReactOS-only drivers should be required. If at this time ReactOS lacks its own versions of necessary "dll files that are found within (Microsoft's version of) (W)indows", rendering engine, APIs, and whatever else may be required for compatibility with ReactOS's design target (i.e., "whatnot") then I suppose the ReactOS developers (devs) intend to eventually write them.
Maybe the best think to do, is to change the target for NT6 (Windows 7/8) or NT10 (Windows 10), but keep the compatibility with old drivers too (NT5).
Yes, and have 64 bit option.
Please support/share my Patreon! Helps so much! https://www.patreon.com/reactions
middings

Post by middings »

Changing ReactOS's implementation target to NT6 or NT10 at this time is like starting construction on one or two new upper floors before the building's ground floor foundation is ready. Changing the target was discussed before and after April 14, 2014. The consensus of the developers (devs) was to build a functional NT5.2 implementation before leaping ahead to NT6 and beyond. I believe nothing has changed to alter that consensus among those who are doing the code writing and testing.

As for a 64-bit implementation, note that Microsoft Windows's 64-bit versions all come with a complete set of 32-bit parts. Many desirable applications remain dependent on the behavior of 32-bit Windows. Thus, the 32-bit NT5.2 implementation target must be met before jumping off into 64-bit territory is practical.

I'm not saying anything new here. All this has been discussed in these ReactOS forums before.
Ancient

Post by Ancient »

Look for product developers on Reddit AMA's and request open source drivers for Windows to be used by ReactOS. Your best impression will probably be talking directly to a developer during an ask me anything. Good luck.
Janus

Post by Janus »

Another approach that may work better.

Ask the companies to try recent versions of Reactos, and get feedback from them over what fails.
This would give those trying to get driver support working a proper list of what really happens during driver install.
The chip makers have all the info for what is supposed to happen, so their feedback is what you need.
Which will help move ReactOS toward being a more direct replacement now that MS have quit pretending they think people actually own their computers.

Also, people with older hardware could test and give feedback, preferably log files, to aid in development.
Again, with the goal proper compatibility.

Don't forget that the inf files contain versioning information in them, so supporting newer drivers does not have to mean abandoning older ones.
Random thoughts.

Janus.
bobbykennedy

Post by bobbykennedy »

dizt3mp3r wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:41 pm
middings wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:53 pm Please pardon my thickheadedness. I don't understand the meaning of the phrase "driver support for ReactOS". If a peripheral maker supplies a Microsoft Windows XP driver for its product, isn't that "driver support for ReactOS"?
I am already writing some software for ReactOS, ie. I have picked up an old unfinished 32bit VB6 project and I am completing it as I know that ReactOS will provide the only future platform (when MS ultimately discards 32bit support from its current o/s). I see ReactOS is the only place my software will be usable in the timescale it will take me to complete it. My timescale is 2-3 years (it is a hobby project but a big one) that I gave up when VB6 became obsolete. ReactOS becoming technically feasible as a target has allowed me to pick up the software again with some confidence that it will run somewhere.

For others to target ReactOS specifically it has to be in their interests but the timescales are not favourable in anything other than the longer term. In truth, all you can really do at this stage is to keep ReactOS on their radar by pestering them and showing them how far ReactOS has come.
I'm not going to judge you for being crazy or masochistic, but why VB6?
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

You are clearly judging already.

Now, read my original words. "I have picked up an old unfinished 32bit VB6 project".

IF it had been an old unfinished C++ project then the words would have read "I have picked up an old unfinished 32bit C++ project", that is why VB6.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.