Question about installing browsers

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

spencerp

Question about installing browsers

Post by spencerp »

Hi, was wondering if it's possible to install Brave browser in ReactOS? https://brave.com/ And if possible, which installer should be used? Regular .exe or another one? Thanks
ThFabba
Developer

Re: Question about installing browsers

Post by ThFabba »

Does it work in Windows XP/2003? If so, it's supposed to work in ROS. You should use whatever 32 bit installer you would use on Windows.
Since it's Chromium-based, however, you may have to pass it the --no-sandbox parameter in order for it to work, per https://jira.reactos.org/browse/CORE-9272
spencerp

Post by spencerp »

Oh okay, so ReactOS is basically like a copy of Windows XP and 32bit. I have 64Bit computer running Windows 7 64bit currently. I usually run 64 bit Brave browser as well of course lol. I'm not sure if Brave works on Windows XP or not... but I'd imagine it would and I believe they have 32 bit installer as well. And yeah they mention at Brave support about the --no-sandbox parameter. Not sure how I would do that in ReactOs though. I don't usually bother installing and tinkering with OS's in virtualbox if they don't handle Brave browser, hence asking first. Otherwise I'd waste hours for nothing installing, learning, tinkering with various OS's only to find out Brave browser won't work in the OS anyway. lol. I might give ReactOs a try in Virtualbox in near future here.
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

spencerp wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:19 pm waste hours for nothing installing, learning, tinkering
ReactOS install is literally a few minutes.

As far as I can tell, Brave requires Win 7+ with no plans to support XP. I just tried the 32 bit installer and it failed to download the installation files, so no - it doesn't appear to work.
middings

Post by middings »

Brave Help Center > Desktop Browser > Installing Brave > How do I download and install Brave?

If the About ReactOS page in the ReactOS Wiki identified which version of Microsoft Windows is the current ReactOS implementation target (NT 5.2), then spencerp could have answered his own question.

(I'd make the edit to the wiki myself but I'm stuck in CAPTCHA hell. Sorry folks.)