[Feedback] Malleability is lacking for the user

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

rtek1000

[Feedback] Malleability is lacking for the user

Post by rtek1000 »

Hi,

I'd like to leave my current impressions:

I tried running the Live-CD in virtual machine, at first it did not work the option to install on disk. (So why did you have this option?)

After loading in Live-CD mode, I tried to insert a shared network folder, but it did not work.

Then I inserted a pendrive. But I could find no way to eject. So after removing the pendrive through the virtual machine controls, Windows complained of incorrect removal.

I tried installing a serial USB port driver. But I could not get administrative access.

I tried logging in as Administrator, but a screen appeared asking for Ctrl + Alt + Del keys. But after performing the insertion via virtual machine control, nothing happened. It did not go away, so I turned the machine off.

I was interested in testing the Arduino IDE + USB tool called ST-link v2. But it is still difficult for the user.

Thank you.
hbelusca
Developer

Re: [Feedback] Malleability is lacking for the user

Post by hbelusca »

You can also ask yourself why it is mentioned literally everywhere that ReactOS is an alpha-quality software, not ready for everyday usage, etc etc...
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

hbelusca wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:13 pm why it is mentioned literally everywhere that ReactOS is an alpha-quality software, not ready for everyday usage, etc etc...
I do wish it was... If you search for ReactOS and you enter via the download link on Google there is no mention anywhere that ReactOS is in Alpha. Not ONE mention. On the FP there is a cast-aside mention "(even if we're just Alpha)" that really does not do the job of explaining that you should lower your expectations of what ReactOS is currently capable of, especially when the next line states "You're just a click away from discovering a new alternative!"

Well I'd say ReactOS is NOT capable of acting as an alternative to Windows, certainly while it is in Alpha and so this bit of advice is disingenuous at best and probably misleading many to try to install it. The website needs a significant change to wording and that should be done NOW to avoid confusion and more posts like this. We should NOT wait for the new site, how difficult can it be to amend the wording after what has been more than a year now?

To the OP. Never install anything without reading the instructions first. It really helps to avoid installing Alpha grade software.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Reactions

Post by Reactions »

dizt3mp3r wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:45 pm
hbelusca wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:13 pm why it is mentioned literally everywhere that ReactOS is an alpha-quality software, not ready for everyday usage, etc etc...
I do wish it was... If you search for ReactOS and you enter via the download link on Google there is no mention anywhere that ReactOS is in Alpha. Not ONE mention. On the FP there is a cast-aside mention "(even if we're just Alpha)" that really does not do the job of explaining that you should lower your expectations of what ReactOS is currently capable of, especially when the next line states "You're just a click away from discovering a new alternative!"

Well I'd say ReactOS is NOT capable of acting as an alternative to Windows, certainly while it is in Alpha and so this bit of advice is disingenuous at best and probably misleading many to try to install it. The website needs a significant change to wording and that should be done NOW to avoid confusion and more posts like this. We should NOT wait for the new site, how difficult can it be to amend the wording after what has been more than a year now?

To the OP. Never install anything without reading the instructions first. It really helps to avoid installing Alpha grade software.
Ye trolling us m8? It not like we can magically make an os that can run SOME programs without steady pay or copying from Windows in 30 years.
Please support/share my Patreon! Helps so much! https://www.patreon.com/reactions
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

What? read again - it is about the word Alpha being missing, nothing more.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

rtek1000 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:17 pm I tried running the Live-CD in virtual machine, at first it did not work the option to install on disk. (So why did you have this option?)
It's being worked on.
rtek1000 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:17 pm After loading in Live-CD mode, I tried to insert a shared network folder, but it did not work.
Depending on what you mean by this, this would either require Samba/SMB or some kind of 'Guest Additions'-like software, neither of which can be installed on a Live CD.
rtek1000 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:17 pm Then I inserted a pendrive. But I could find no way to eject. So after removing the pendrive through the virtual machine controls, Windows complained of incorrect removal.
USB support is being worked on; the current status is shaky at best.
rtek1000 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:17 pm I tried installing a serial USB port driver. But I could not get administrative access.
Again, installing things in Live CD mode isn't really an option.
rtek1000 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:17 pm I tried logging in as Administrator, but a screen appeared asking for Ctrl + Alt + Del keys. But after performing the insertion via virtual machine control, nothing happened. It did not go away, so I turned the machine off.
I believe fast user switching is still in progress.
rtek1000 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:17 pm I was interested in testing the Arduino IDE + USB tool called ST-link v2. But it is still difficult for the user.
Again, USB support isn't 100%.
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

rtek1000 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:17 pm I tried logging in as Administrator, but a screen appeared asking for Ctrl + Alt + Del keys. But after performing the insertion via virtual machine control, nothing happened.
When this happens on my VBox Install, I usually do a Snapshot restore to get back to the explorer.
ReactOS Donator ~ $5.00 | Linux Mint Donator ~ $1.00 in BTC