Real Hardware

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ImperialSpectre

Real Hardware

Post by ImperialSpectre »

I've been wondering,

How close are the devs at getting the system to work under real hardware? I've sometimes been trying to install it on real hardware but the setup freezes and so on but at least the actual language setup on the setup iso now shows which is a major step since my last bug report in 2014. How long will we lets say have to wait till beta testing? I would love to install ReactOS on real hardware and install my XP-era games on it. At the moment though I'm testing ReactOS through Virtualbox on Deepin OS and so far like the improvements.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes
ROCKNROLLKID

Re: Real Hardware

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

That depends on what you mean by "running" and "real hardware". There are some users who are running ReactOS on real hardware, but from like 2000-2006 era. Surprising my 840 EVO SSD actually runs quite well on ReactOS in AHCI mode. There are lots of bugs, bsods, crashes, etc, though.

There is no release dates for anything here, but we do have a roadmap for .5 version, the next major version release for ReactOS. You can view what is all planned for .5 release here: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/0.5.0

Again though, this is just ideas/plans and there are no release dates for anything here.
ImperialSpectre

Post by ImperialSpectre »

ROCKNROLLKID wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 10:57 pm That depends on what you mean by "running" and "real hardware". There are some users who are running ReactOS on real hardware, but from like 2000-2006 era. Surprising my 840 EVO SSD actually runs quite well on ReactOS in AHCI mode. There are lots of bugs, bsods, crashes, etc, though.

There is no release dates for anything here, but we do have a roadmap for .5 version, the next major version release for ReactOS. You can view what is all planned for .5 release here: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/0.5.0

Again though, this is just ideas/plans and there are no release dates for anything here.
I've had a look and I would love to see the Stable USB bit being implemented and the combined 1st stage setup with Live CD sometimes Live cd actually loads on my PC but for some reason the setup iso crashes with my hardware and when I have USB plugged in. What would be nice to see is an actual setup software on the combined Live CD/setup version and then testing USB to see if it works and if it does then it could install on my hardware. My hardware by the way is modern "real" hardware but the setup .iso both nightly and official version dumps on language setup and I can't select either British English or American English and refuses to allow Keyboard interaction.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

The problem with CPUs these days is that they are now 50% software. Before I bought my Ryzen 1700, I had a FX4200. It wasn't the best cpu, sure, but it could run anywhere because it didn't need all the drivers that AMD now has for Ryzen. My Ryzen 1700 has 5 different drivers needed in order to run on a OS, which is why they are limited to Win7 and Win10. My 4200, however, could run on any system from Win2000 - Win10. I never tried if it could run on Win95/98 at all, but I am sure it could. Around 2012, AMD created the PSP for their CPUs, which is similar to how Intel ME works, and that is when CPUs started becoming limited on to what systems they could run. Intel is not any better either and has had this stuff longer then AMD, which is why a lot of people found it easier to make AMD compatible with open-source stuff then Intel.

As for GPUs, there are no open-source drivers for Windows as far as I am concerned, so the only drivers that will work are the ones that run on WinXP from Nvidia and AMD.

USB requires the Host Controller Interface in order to get anything USB related to work. For example, ReactOS only has OHCI, UHCI, and EHCI. OHCI is the open standard one created for USB 1.0/1.1 and UHCI is the samething but it is not open standard. EHCI is for USB 2.0 and is backwards compatible with USB 1.1. Vgal, the one who made all these drivers, started working on XHCI, which is for USB 3.0, 3.1, and 3.2, but I do not know how far he is with it or if he is still working on it. With all that being said, which one YOU need will depend on the motherboard you have. Any AM3/AM3+ boards have EHCI which ReactOS has but is not guarantee to work, yet. AM4 boards require XHCI which does not run on ReactOS, yet. I am not a expert with Intel motherboards, so you will need to look that up yourself if you have a Intel board.

Hope all this helped you.