Linux and Mac software support for ReactOS, possible??

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

wayi

Linux and Mac software support for ReactOS, possible??

Post by wayi »

I was thinking of a OS like ReactOS a couple days ago, now I have found this place. Would Linux and Mac software support integration be possible for ReactOS in the future? Like a all in one operating system.
EmuandCo
Developer

Re: Linux and Mac software support for ReactOS, possible??

Post by EmuandCo »

Same way Linux can do it (sort of). We need a compatibility layer for Linux (just the same way as MS already provided one for Windows 10) and one for MacOS X. There is none I know of for Windows architecture yet, but a Linux one there is: http://www.darlinghq.org/
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

Ooh!

With WSL2, there might be better chances of running Darling: https://github.com/darlinghq/darling/issues/260
ImperialSpectre

Post by ImperialSpectre »

I thought that most of the current available software for Linux are already available for Windows if I'm not mistaken. Most of the open sourced games are already Windows-compatible the only difference which I find is that some of the GNU-apps aren't available yet.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

ImperialSpectre wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:07 pm I thought that most of the current available software for Linux are already available for Windows
If the original developers decided to develop their software to be cross-platform, yeah.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Even most GNU apps are available. In that case of fighting against portability other devs just ported them. Project gnuwin32 is not the most recent one, but these guys ported MAAAANY GNU tools to Windows. If you love runtimes, cygwin is your friend. And there are others porting the tools too.

BUT: This does not help with the OP's question. You can NOT just port over heavily linux dependent stuff aka no simple command line tools, but daemons, libraries and kernel accessing happiness. There are more than enough cases where a complete rewrite is more efficient than trying to port it.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
dark

Post by dark »

I would think ReactOS would support things like cooperative Linux http://www.colinux.org/?section=screenshots. However since everyone moved to a 64 bit processors with virtualization extensions built in, this project died with no 64 bit support. If someone builds the software that allows it to work on standard Windows, ReactOS should be able to run it eventually. CoLinux might even work now on ReactOS as they're both 32 bit.