Bot proofing Jira and the Forum

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Should we try to integrate this?

Yes!
67%
Maybe later.
33%
Not at all!
No votes

Total votes: 12

Reactions

Bot proofing Jira and the Forum

Post by Reactions »

Hi all,
As evident in this "New Topic", viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18708, there has been an increasing number of bots posting on the Forum and Jira. While they aren't hard to uncover, they are getting gradually better. It is a waste of time, causes clutter, and wastes data. I think we should consider having bot/spam blockers. This would work by doing an autosearch and seeing if it is similar to another post or topic. If it is too similar (I think a 60% margin of similarity is good), then the post will be blocked. While this isn't perfect, it will help minimize frustration and unintentional spam.

What are your thoughts?
Please support/share my Patreon! Helps so much! https://www.patreon.com/reactions
oldman

Re: Bot proofing Jira and the Forum

Post by oldman »

Every first post from a newly registered forum account, is now vetted by EmuandCo. He could probably do with another trusted moderator to help him.
As for "It is a waste of time, causes clutter, and wastes data.", the people who needlessly quote other peoples posts, are the ones who cause clutter and waste data space. The spammers usually get there posts and topic deleted.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
shunesburg

Post by shunesburg »

I'm for the "Yes" answer, but the captchas are not enough for that?
Reactions

Post by Reactions »

That might work?

Nah, let's have a full feature spam blocker.
Please support/share my Patreon! Helps so much! https://www.patreon.com/reactions
Reactions

Post by Reactions »

Actually, let's go with the recapcha for right now. I think the mouse one would be best.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

I am the spam filter right now. Spam filters are like every automation, they tend to fail sooner or later. Right now I am the only filter that could fail. Except the rules we have added:
Every new user has to have a specific number of approved posts before he can post without my approval. Some posts, like the mentioned one were hand checked for dups by me and I did let it through because the post was too different to call it a bot per se.
If I would block ALL the messages being similar to bot behavior, we would not have ANY new posts at all anymore. (And I was proven right with doing it the way I do more than once by now...)
Just as a small excerpt what I filter per week... Last 7 days I disapproved 64 posts of about 25 new accounts and that was a less flooded week. The rest you all witnessed. Ah and btw, I allow posts which might cause a flourishing discussion too. Spambots can not edit their posts without another approval by me... So we are safe.

ReCaptcha v3 is a nice one and works great compared to v2. I used v2 long enough on my blog and was flooded with crap, now.... Silence for WEEKS.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...