I finally figured out how to make Win7 not suck; might be ready to say goodbye to XP

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

binarymaster

Re: I finally figured out how to make Win7 not suck; might be ready to say goodbye to XP

Post by binarymaster »

EmuandCo wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:47 am I have no clue if the Home versions have an administrator account, but Pro as the only real Win7 does.
I'm on Win 7 Starter edition, and it have Administrator account too. Can be enabled via net user command.
learn_more
Developer

Re: I finally figured out how to make Win7 not suck; might be ready to say goodbye to XP

Post by learn_more »

wdstudios wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:36 pm NT 6.x "security" is based on the idiotic premise of "hackers can't use your computer if your computer is already useless". It's worse than any virus I've gotten in XP. These adjustments effectively un-compromise the computer.
If you have no clue what you are doing, it's best you don't meddle with security options...
wdstudios

Post by wdstudios »

binarymaster wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:35 pmIt's usually disabled by default.
So, for all practical purposes, it's indistinguishable from nonexistent.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

wdstudios wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:05 am
binarymaster wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:35 pmIt's usually disabled by default.
So, for all practical purposes, it's indistinguishable from nonexistent.
For all practical purposes you should have it enabled since day one (of the installation) so that we would not have to discuss about it only now.
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

wdstudios wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:05 am So, for all practical purposes, it's indistinguishable from nonexistent.
I can use this tool: https://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/ to enable the account outside of Windows itself running. If the account didn't exist in the first place, I couldn't do that. So no, it's not really "indistinguishable from nonexistent". It's quite useful, in fact.
Quim

Post by Quim »

When ReactOS will be in beta stage with enough advanced Windows XP and some Windows 7 features, I hope that the dream finally comes true: ReactOS be ready to replace MS Windows XP once for all.
Janus

Post by Janus »

Classicshell is now openshell, and still being worked on.
You should also look at 7+ taskbar tweaker.
"Network activity indicator" gets you blinky network lights back.
Void tools everything replaces all forms of MS search, and does a better job.
I use a custom compile of explorer++ to replace the joke that is explorer in Win7.

For your consideration.

Janus.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

This is something ROS could improve upon when we do the whole NT6 thing. Rather than have a slider, have a page of tickmarks. The problem with the UAC slider is that it enables and disables things in groups. A power user would rather be able to alter security settings one at a time. So someone can alter 1-2 individual settings to make it "suck less" than kill all their security.

And yes, the home version of Win7 does have an admin account, but it is hidden and can be enabled in the Users area. The reason they hid that is because you can make any user account an admin account and hackers all know about the Administrator account.