Booting ReactOS on an OLPC XO-1 Laptop?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

rojeff

Booting ReactOS on an OLPC XO-1 Laptop?

Post by rojeff »

I'm wondering if it would be possible to get ReactOS to boot on an OLPC laptop.

Early versions of the One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) project, like the XO-1, used AMD-based processors but had open firmware in lieu of traditional BIOS. OLPC laptops are fairly resource constrained little machines: CPU 400 MHz and RAM 512MB, and 1GB of on-board NAND for storage.

Is it possible to get FreeLoader to actually bring ReactOS up on such a system?
binarymaster

Re: Booting ReactOS on an OLPC XO-1 Laptop?

Post by binarymaster »

As far as I know, Alexey Bragin had some experiments with OLPC and ReactOS - there is a separate branch in repository:
https://github.com/reactos/reactos/commits/olpc

But it's very outdated and might not work.
rojeff

Post by rojeff »

I'm currently refurbishing two of them. Once I get them back in working shape I should give that patch a try. Thank you for the link! Hopefully I can merge it into a current copy Freeldr.

I should note, with a special USB<-->Header console cable it's possible to watch the entire boot process of the device from the beginning. It's even possible to get a Forth prompt and play around with the open firmware settings at that point via the console.

Is anyone else interested? I don't have much experience with C — I'm a Bash and Python guy — but I can log output, troubleshoot and make small source code edits to try to move things along.
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

rojeff wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:51 pm Is anyone else interested? I don't have much experience with C — I'm a Bash and Python guy — but I can log output, troubleshoot and make small source code edits to try to move things along.
Would be nice to have a debug log from a recent nightly build with OLPC patches applied.

I also created an article on wiki regarding OLPC XO-1 port: https://reactos.org/wiki/OLPC