Update Manager and compatibility?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ImperialSpectre

Update Manager and compatibility?

Post by ImperialSpectre »

So when and if ReactOS eventually becomes more reliable and ready for daily usage would we "users" who want to use ReactOS instead of Windows or Linux etc. have the ability by then to upgrade via an update manager to the next version up without the need for a clean install?

I've done some reading on the ReactOS and read somewhere that it was something being worked on but the page was very outdated the section that I found on the website. Is this being looked into?

Also with some games now aiming for Windows 10-compatibility will we be able to change the systems compatibility setting so that those software's/games that are designed to work with Windows 10 or just Windows if the rumour about the re-branding Windows 10 to Windows become true will it be possible to change the said configuration.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes
learn_more
Developer

Re: Update Manager and compatibility?

Post by learn_more »

yes, see the other 10 topics about this?
shunesburg

Post by shunesburg »

You can find the answer on the homepage of the website of ReactOS : "They're talking about ReactOS 0.4.12 (even if we're just Alpha) ".

Maybe you don't know what is an Alpha sowftware ?
Alpha means, it's the first step of development, it's very far away for a daily usage.
Walt

Post by Walt »

"Alpha means, it's the first step of development, it's very far away for a daily usage."

I'm probably about the only non-developer who can use it daily: I read web sites a couple hours a day, don't want to look at video or play sound, don't do things involving sensitive data -- I have another computer for all of that.

I read and post here and on other forums -- it's fine for that!

Basically I do A LOT of the very small number of things ROS can now do well -- and yeah, it's great for my very simple browsing -- fast, no frills, close to problem free.

But even games ... My favorite is 16 bit, ROS doesn't do that.

If you have one or two 32 bit programs that you spend quite a bit of time running, that don't require anything but a CD ROM drive, keyboard, mouse, screen ... Pretty limited.

But DAMN it's good for what it does. I will donate some regularly now.
learn_more
Developer

Post by learn_more »

Walt wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:26 pm "Alpha means, it's the first step of development, it's very far away for a daily usage."

I'm probably about the only non-developer who can use it daily: I read web sites a couple hours a day, don't want to look at video or play sound, don't do things involving sensitive data -- I have another computer for all of that.

I read and post here and on other forums -- it's fine for that!

Basically I do A LOT of the very small number of things ROS can now do well -- and yeah, it's great for my very simple browsing -- fast, no frills, close to problem free.

But even games ... My favorite is 16 bit, ROS doesn't do that.

If you have one or two 32 bit programs that you spend quite a bit of time running, that don't require anything but a CD ROM drive, keyboard, mouse, screen ... Pretty limited.

But DAMN it's good for what it does. I will donate some regularly now.
Commander keen works:
https://youtu.be/cXsPXTRqf3U