Security Software

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Coviti

Security Software

Post by Coviti »

I think that ReactOS should be bundled with security software, similar to Windows XP's "Windows Firewall". I have extensively searched and found a few possible candidates for this, which are already made for Windows. Of course, the GNU/Linux ones could be ported to ReactOS, but there's always these.

Firewalls:
----------------
FirewallPAPI
NetDefender

Anti-virus:
----------------
ClamWin
ClamAV Win32

Both ClamWin and ClamAV Win32 are based on ClamAV. If you like the idea, please say so, and if you think it's insane, please say so too! Please don't start the "Functionality First", or "Alpha Build" speeches, I'm just suggesting this for the future.

Note: NetDefender may not be GPL compatible! I have contacted the manufacturer to inquire about this, but I haven't received a response yet.
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

ReactOS will have it's own built in firewall eventually.
DGMurdockIII

Post by DGMurdockIII »

what about anti-virus
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

antivirus will be left to the user to install.
There will be variations in the package manager
FORCE

Post by FORCE »

Yes i agree, firewall should be included but antivirus must be 3-rd party whatever user wants.
DGMurdockIII

Post by DGMurdockIII »

how about checking out the Open Web Application Security Project http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Main_Page
Durel

Post by Durel »

Agreed on keeping a anti virus user defined. But really, since most virusses build for windows work on exploits I guess none of the excisting virus scanners are of any use for ROS?

A firewall could be build in, as long as it can be turned off (somehow i dont even dare to doubt you would enable us to choose but whatever) since some o us have hardware firewalls. but kindly make it more usefull than windows build in firewall :p (which i ironically use on my standalone pcs... lazyness seems to be the reason i still use it heh) outbound blocking is a must =p
Sarocet

Post by Sarocet »

Windows firewall isn't precisely a good firewall. Moreover it should be called a "firewall" (into quotes). It only blocks incoming connections (well, it's like don't opening the ports when the apps request it), which doesn't really firewall the connection. It's very basic. It would be easy to clon it, but ROS deserves a better firewall. I think it is going to have some kind of iptables :D

PS: The Vista and Longhorn "firewalls" seems better, but we should wait to see what MS has really done :twisted:.
DGMurdockIII

Post by DGMurdockIII »

I now that I just want to make sure you guys new how it worked so you dont make that same crappy one as as windows has
ROSFan

Post by ROSFan »

:idea: It would be helpful to have an "block traffic" button to stop all internet traffic when needed. Specially for properitary Software it is common to send or download data without asking the user. An Traffic monitor inside which also shows which applications cause network traffic. Additionally providing the opportunity to set rules for every app and stop every single connection would be fine.

rosfan
walter

Post by walter »

a kind of open source zonealarm?

edit: i found this

http://sourceforge.net/projects/fullcontrol
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

The main reactos tree is C and C++ it is preferred it stays that way.

Depending on how that is done in VB that might be completely useless too.

API Hooking some tools like that use. Instead of building two device driver for API monitering and Firewall monitering.
hp38guser

Post by hp38guser »

ROSFan wrote::idea: It would be helpful to have an "block traffic" button to stop all internet traffic when needed. Specially for properitary Software it is common to send or download data without asking the user. An Traffic monitor inside which also shows which applications cause network traffic. Additionally providing the opportunity to set rules for every app and stop every single connection would be fine.

rosfan
In Windows XP you can disable your internet connection with 2 clicks. I don't think adding any more buttons would do good for the average user.
ROSFan

Post by ROSFan »

I have Suse, no Win XP, but I wouldn't trust this button :wink:

My position about the number of buttons:
Well, for example in China it is common to have as much as possible buttons (maybe you have seen inside of cars the gui of chinese onboard computer?), the american people want to have all functions as possible inside one button. I think if we want to be international we should make a compromise between these two extremes.