React OS = Your OS (react OS ads)

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

React_dude

React OS = Your OS (react OS ads)

Post by React_dude »

Post links or ad text here about React OS. heres mine: (so far)

React OS = Your OS.

It comes down to that. With Microsoft Windows compatability and pure stability, with the right price why would you not use React OS? What is React OS? React OS is a free, open source, stable, networking Operating system for YOUR computer.
We need a react OS Update. How would we get by wih out it.
Jaix
Moderator Team

Re: React OS = Your OS (react OS ads)

Post by Jaix »

React_dude wrote:Post links or ad text here about React OS. heres mine: (so far)

React OS = Your OS.

It comes down to that. With Microsoft Windows compatability and pure stability, with the right price why would you not use React OS? What is React OS? React OS is a free, open source, stable, networking Operating system for YOUR computer.
"Pure stability" You are talking about version 2.5 not 0.2.5 right? :)
AcetoliNe

Post by AcetoliNe »

ReactOS
Power to YOU

-Since Open Source is all about giving more power and freedom to the user.
caveman LIKES chocolate.
we shall reinvent the wheel until it turns properly.
uniQ

Re: React OS = Your OS (react OS ads)

Post by uniQ »

Jaix wrote:"Pure stability" You are talking about version 2.5 not 0.2.5 right? :)
Ofcourse, this is stuff like what Mozilla did when Ffx hit 1.0, not 0.1 :D ;)

ReactOS, the Windows compatible OS for absolutely nothing (It's free!), and soo much more.

-uniQ
Coming on, coming up, let me help ROS and I'll be able to look @ a life well used.
avryhof

hehe

Post by avryhof »

Free Software . . . Penguine not included.

I know its kind of a hit on Linux, and I like Linux but ReactOS has it's Non-Linux "selling point"

Linux is a pain in the a** because half the time the instllers/configurators do their job WRONG and you have to edit text files yourself, which is fine if you know what your doing, but a newbie is just going to give up. Thats what I did at first, then I came by some time and figured it all out.

... and no this is not some old Linux distro, so don't say "oh it's all changed now" Anyway, ReactOS is good like that, no playing with text files, and for old DOSers (like me) it's a great next step.
uniQ

Post by uniQ »

Hate spending all your time in #warez channels and on spwarezZzd up cracks sites trying to get around Windows Service Pack Xs newest WPA fixes? Then don't!

Have to get the pirates attention ;)

-Q
Coming on, coming up, let me help ROS and I'll be able to look @ a life well used.
AcetoliNe

Post by AcetoliNe »

I agree with avryhof.

When all is said and done, and when everybody goes home to their seperate lives, don't we all believe deep inside (I mean REAL deep) that Linux is just a bag of trash?

90-something percent of all OS installations are Windows. If ReactOS reaches a level that it becomes practical...

I get a thrillingly intense rush just thinking about it.
caveman LIKES chocolate.
Elledan

Post by Elledan »

AcetoliNe wrote:I agree with avryhof.

When all is said and done, and when everybody goes home to their seperate lives, don't we all believe deep inside (I mean REAL deep) that Linux is just a bag of trash?

90-something percent of all OS installations are Windows. If ReactOS reaches a level that it becomes practical...

I get a thrillingly intense rush just thinking about it.
I think that it's important to differentiate between desktop and server systems here.

Linux is fantastic for anything server and embedded, while Windows/ROS is fantastic for anything desktop. Just don't try to make those OSs do things they weren't designed for.
uniQ

Post by uniQ »

Exactly IMO. Linux is a clone of UNIX, and UNIX was not meant to be run on an end users machine (Unless they're a high end end user). Hence it doesn't surprise me when Linux runs great on my server, but doesn't take off on most desktops.

-Q

PS. Anyway, to keep this on track:

ROS: don't just run it, pick it up and run with it!
A-v-S
Location: BAEK CITY (Beek, Limburg, The Netherlands, Europe, Earth)

Post by A-v-S »

Change OS without changing your software
"you laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same"

http://www.il.fontys.nl/~andre
AcetoliNe

Post by AcetoliNe »

Ok. I guess i was a little bit hard on linux. After all, the penguin only wants to be embedded, not turned into a workstation ;)

Now on to the important sTuFf:

Today I was talking to this guy (a friend) about free software. He did not like Linux because, in his own words: "If Linux was a good OS, and It was professional enough to compete with UNIX at the time, then the person who made would not have released it for free".

Sad enough, this is a lot of people's perspective toward OSS. Even though I do not like Linux, his argument was a little harsh.

And when, two months ago, Firefox 1.0 was launched, I gave it to some of my friends, and they simply did not understand. "Don't we have to pay anything?", "How do the developers earn their living?" were the questions commonly asked.

I'm sure most of you have encountered a similar scenario before.

We need to tell people that what we are doing IS worthy, and IS useful. If you go up to someone and say, "We have an OS that is just like windows, only free," they are going to have some difficulty understanding the 'just like windows' part. They ask the free software writer's most agonizing question: If it's that good, then why don't you sell it? It's either not good or not free, is what most people want to think.

We need a slogan that truly portrays the spirit of free software, something that only free software developers can understand. Such a slogan would truly make a ReactOS future a reality.
caveman LIKES chocolate.
Stead

Post by Stead »

personally i don't like using linux, i like the idea of it, and i think its good, i just think its not user friendly, no matter how many nice pretty shells there are..

[quote="AcetoliNe"]
We need to tell people that what we are doing IS worthy, and IS useful. If you go up to someone and say, "We have an OS that is just like windows, only free," they are going to have some difficulty understanding the 'just like windows' part. They ask the free software writer's most agonizing question: If it's that good, then why don't you sell it? It's either not good or not free, is what most people want to think.
quote]

If only it wasn't for lindows, in my opinion thats put a lot of people wanting to try windows alternative os's off trying them, after finding out that it really wasn't the end to all your windows problems, specially since it just uses wine, before it was realised i was under the impression they had properly written a completly windows compatiable emulatation layer of some sort, *sigh* i don't know why but i actually expected a lot from that linux distro
avryhof

Apache

Post by avryhof »

Apache my friend. Remind your friends who think it's no good if it's free that Apache is free, and the most popular web server on the internet.
uniQ

Post by uniQ »

Yea, but what average usr who uses Windows now is going to know what Apache httpd is?

-uniQ
Elledan

Post by Elledan »

ReactOS: bringing the joys of Communism to your desktop! ;)

You can blame our very own Bill Gates for this (re his appearance at CES) :D