win9x kernel

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

styleshit

win9x kernel

Post by styleshit »

I found that people try to clone WinNT, but there is no success with KRNL386.EXE from win98. win9x is wery good gaming platform and is wery similar to winXP+ .
some files from ReactOS is 100% compliant with win98 (try kernel32.dll ) and RosExplorer -ansi is almost the same as original. GPL DOS clones requires some work, but is wery close to ms-dos 7.1 . Is it really hard to clone win98 ??
Gasmann

Re: win9x kernel

Post by Gasmann »

styleshit wrote:I found that people try to clone WinNT, but there is no success with KRNL386.EXE from win98. win9x is wery good gaming platform and is wery similar to winXP+ .
some files from ReactOS is 100% compliant with win98 (try kernel32.dll ) and RosExplorer -ansi is almost the same as original. GPL DOS clones requires some work, but is wery close to ms-dos 7.1 . Is it really hard to clone win98 ??
Win98 should not be harder to clone than NT, but it's a bad written unstable OS and this is I think the reason why noone wants to clone it. :wink:
styleshit

aa yeah

Post by styleshit »

No way.
IF someone make win98 LGPL clone then it will be easy to make it more stable than original win98. and THATS is what i want
GvG

Re: win9x kernel

Post by GvG »

styleshit wrote:win9x is wery good gaming platform and is wery similar to winXP+ .
Win9x is a piece of shit. On the outside (if you look at which APIs it provides) it is similar to WinXP, both provide the Win32 API. But on the inside it is radically different. Due to that difference in design, Win9x can never ever be made as stable as WinXP.
styleshit wrote:some files from ReactOS is 100% compliant with win98 (try kernel32.dll )
I can guarantee you that if you try to use the ReactOS kernel32.dll in Win98 it won't work.
Wierd

Post by Wierd »

Actually, the instability issues are inherant with the architecture style of 9x.

Basically, The problems with it can be descibed in the following points

1) Win9x allows programs to directly access memory and hardware devices, allowing programs to essentially trump the kernel's control. This means that ill-behaved programs can seriously mess up the memory space, and cause hardware to get seriously confused.

2) Win9x switches between real and protected mode in a 1 armed juggling act-- Memory addresses get translated, retranslated, swaped around, and roulette shuffled more than I care to really think about on mode switches. Because of point 1), this exasasorbates the problem.

The switch to the NT flavor kernel and OS architecture was primarily to resolve both of these problems, by putting the kernel in control of EVERYTHING, and putting all 16bit (real mode) stuff inside a virtual execution environment. As was expected, stability went WAAAAY up.

NT is just plain better.
styleshit

Post by styleshit »

I can guarantee you that if you try to use the ReactOS kernel32.dll in Win98 it won't work.
... i am currently running mini98 based on DOS 7.1(extended)
with KERNEL32.DLL from reactos, explorer from reactos(ansi)... ole*.dll from reactos msimg32.dll and some other files i do not remember them all.
mini98 currently takes 8MB disk space and has DOS mode hardware support, runs fast, and can upgrade itself via windowsupdate.
i was just testing compaibility, when found this somehow
[/quote]
Headstrong

Post by Headstrong »

do you have a link for this mini98 thing ?
styleshit

ohhh no

Post by styleshit »

Sorry... i checked for file version for this kernel32.dll and found that its taken from BEDOS TANJA(illegal, stolen,binary patched win95 from russia).
i will replace with original file and then give you a link
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

Mobluis are trying to create a clone of windows 9x
see http://mobius.sourceforge.net/ but not mush happen in there project
few programmes and no gui, and so on,
the start on it 2001-03-23

Rectos are older and got more devloper on it.
uniQ

Post by uniQ »

Somewhat ontopic question: Will ROS be compatible with all 9x stuff (Excepting the VxDs, and other drivers, which I know aren't NT compatible)?

-uniQ
Coming on, coming up, let me help ROS and I'll be able to look @ a life well used.
niteice

Post by niteice »

Not to bump an old thread, but I suppose it would be compatible. 9x uses loads of NT stuff for Win32 support.