Mod Live CD

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

luneo

Mod Live CD

Post by luneo »

Is there any way to make a custom livecd? I want to include some programs in the system.. like firefox, oo, devc++, to show it to people in university... Is it possible?
crhylove

The list draft .01

Post by crhylove »

Yes, can we start talking about putting reactos out as a full distro at this point? I can think of SEVERAL small but highly useful OSS windows programs I'd like to see auto installed (with an opt-out option of course!) in a ReactOS distro.

Can we start the list here? I'll edit this as needed, if you'd care to join me/add or subtract from the list (with reasons!). And of course, we should mark what is currently working or not working, as well.

List:
(Now sorted by working rank http://www.reactos.org/support/index.ph ... k2=ratings)

5 Notepad2
3 Firefox
3 Foobar 2000 (or Delphamp, are these really the best FOSS music players?)
2 Filezilla
2 Inkscape
2 7zip
1 Open Office
1 Gimp
1 Gaim (or Miranda?)
1 cdex

x Thunderbird
x Zsnes
x FCEultra
x 1964 (PJ64?)
x Nexuiz (or some other FOSS FPS, Alien Arena?)
x NVU
x Shareaza
x Privoxy
x Tor
x Audacity
x Tuxpaint
x C-evo
x Virtualdub
x Mahjong (which one?)
x Chess
x Spider Solitaire
x FreeCell
x Hearts
x ghostscript
x ghostwrite
x media player classic
x VLC
x some FOSS cd/dvd burn software?

Let's start a seperate thread and vote on several options for controversial topics, such as whether abiword or some other program should be selected as the default document opener.

Wow, looking at that list I realize there's only 4 programs I use regularly that aren't FOSS:
San Andreas
Sibelius
Winamp
BSPlayer
Nero

And BSplayer is pretty much unnecessary if you've got mpc or vlc, or all three as I do. I just like it's "skin" a bit better than MPC, but I imagine we could hack that if we had to.

Winamp is a real bummer though, as are Nero and Sibelius. I haven't found any good FOSS programs that remotely emulate any of their performance. Suggestions are eagerly awaited.
Last edited by crhylove on Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lolo

Post by Lolo »

Hi,
My suggestions :
Mplayer (instead of Bsplayer, which is very good but close software)
Some VERY powerfull GPLed replacements for Notepad : Notepad2 or Notepad++

And if you want to find (and complete) a winamp clone, there is delphamp which is under GPL and write in delphi. It looks like it has been stopped since 2004 but it is already able to deal with winamp skins.

I would like also to find a program like netlimiter in ReactOS.
I would love to find a "CPUlimiter" program included in ReactOs (just to be sure that I can "give" no more than xx% to any program or to be sure that ReactOS could limit the average dissipation to limit the temperature of the CPU under any limit I want.)

++
crhylove

Post by crhylove »

Well, there is no way mplayer is replacing bsplayer on my machine! It opens up two windows, and they are both pretty hiddeous. As I said, bsplayer is unnecessary since we have MPC, anyway. I added notepad2, though, it had 5 stars!

rhY
GreyGhost

Post by GreyGhost »

Please keep in mind that ReactOS IS IN ALPHA STAGE and is sometimes very unstable..... Many applications arent working yet with ReactOS......
And i PERSONALLY (mind u its my personal opinion) ReactOS isnt ready for a LiveCD distro (or any other type of distro at the moment)......
But again ....its my opinion .......
crhylove

Post by crhylove »

Hey, some people like to ride the bleeding edge, and for them, the next release is going to be a lot of fun to tinker with, and putting together a Live distro will be a good exercise and good practice for the later more stable less alpha releases.

I'd like a live cd with all working FOSS windows apps already rolling on it. I can't be alone!

rhY
forart

Post by forart »

»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 »

We have already such lists in our wiki, just use the search function and review the entries.
Please keep such lists in our Wiki, you can also discuss about them in the related wiki discuss page!

http://www.reactos.org/wiki/
crhylove

Post by crhylove »

Bastards!

http://www.reactos.org/wiki/index.php/P ... nager_Tree

Ok then, I will work on the wiki. :D

rhY
crhylove

Post by crhylove »

Well, which one are we keeping as the location for which software might make into the first distro? Shouldn't we have votes to narrow it down to the default programs and/or themes? phpbb has poll functions built right in, so we could narrow the choices down to one in each field pretty quickly.

rhY
Coviti

Post by Coviti »

In my opinion (And it's just that, an opinion) ReactOS should never, and I repeat never have "distros". It is extremely confusing for most people to have to sort through all the Linux distros to find one that suits them, so I believe we should avoid following their example.

In addition, the developers of this project are far too busy to work on a project like this, so this line of thought will take you nowhere. That is of course, unless some of you want to start development on it. Otherwise, there is nothing you can do about this, the devs will always be busy and do not have time for this, and I can almost guarantee that this will never happen unless you do it yourself.

Seriously though, I know it would be "cool" to have a live CD with every open-source windows program as has been suggested, but can you imagine how much space that would use? That would require an enormous number of CD's or DVD's, and simply would not be practical. I'm afraid that this is a good idea, but one which will never make it off the ground unless one of you gets to work and starts an entirely new project devoted to this cause.
Last edited by Coviti on Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreyGhost

Post by GreyGhost »

This is only my opinion...
One thing that also needs to be regarded is that NOT ALL the software listed above may run (correctly) ...... thats what worries me (personnalyy ) most....
ppl. may think that ROS cant work at all when some of them might not work (or cause ROS to crash)..... and MAY stop them from supporting ROS.....
I say so because i've tested some of those apps. myself and they have worked buggily ....
but again this is my point of view.... your's may differ...
forart

Post by forart »

frik85 wrote:We have already such lists in our wiki
Since i'm the author of one of the largest open source software list on the wiki, i don't think we have a portable software list instead.

Please correct me if i'm wrong. :oops:
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
stephen_pollei

Post by stephen_pollei »