React OS Updater

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Techno Mage

React OS Updater

Post by Techno Mage »

I would be good to have an updater built in, less would have to be downloaded.

This would be especialy good for testers using the SVN version, as they would be up to date, and only list problems with the current version.

It could say only have updates for a single SVN cycle. Automaticly picking the updates you need and installing them.
crhylove

Post by crhylove »

Yeah, having live updates would be awesome, particularly if you could automagically select "stable", "beta", or "alpha". But it's not a priority at the moment, I imagine. It would help development though, particularly if the beta version had a desktop link or something to automagically report bugs at right when they happen, and update the compatibility information of various programs.

rhY
frik85
Developer

Re: React OS Updater

Post by frik85 »

Techno Mage wrote:I would be good to have an updater built in, less would have to be downloaded.

This would be especialy good for testers using the SVN version, as they would be up to date, and only list problems with the current version.

It could say only have updates for a single SVN cycle. Automaticly picking the updates you need and installing them.
You can have that already (but not out-of-the-box). :wink:
Use Subversion (client) to keep your local source up-to-date and install mingw. Then run each time the subversion update command and "make depends" (to compile reactos in reactos) and "make install" (update the files). Done.
Techno Mage

Re: React OS Updater

Post by Techno Mage »

frik85 wrote: You can have that already (but not out-of-the-box). :wink:
Use Subversion (client) to keep your local source up-to-date and install mingw. Then run each time the subversion update command and "make depends" (to compile reactos in reactos) and "make install" (update the files). Done.
No thanks, not going to touch mingw with a ten foot pole, and i hate SVN just as much.

Trying to make it hands free here. That just takes to many steps, and time.
frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 »

There are discussion about an auto-update tool. Although, such a update processs is not-trivial and need a good design-phase.
If you have suggestions/ideas, join the ReactOS mailing list and/or the #reactos IRC channel.
Harbin

Post by Harbin »

Yes, add updater to end user release 8)
Not to development versions, it is already very easy to update with SVN.
steveh

About compiling reactos within reactos...?

Post by steveh »

@Harbin
>Yes, add updater to end user release Cool. Not to development versions, it is already very easy to update with SVN.

You are right. An updater in alpha/beta phase would be rather complicate. Generally updaters are not well suited in quickly changing software packages. Probably also one of the reasons why MS$ switched to fixed monthly update intervals...

about "make depends":
I not yet tried to compile reactos within itself. What's the performance and reliability, compared to compiling reactos from within a mingw32 environment on linux?

My experiences are that mingw32 on win2000 is slower than on linux. On linux my SVN is on a Reiser4 partition, on Win2000 it was on a FAT32 partition. So what performance by mingw32 on reactos?
Moreover that i run reactos in qemu+kqemu with the average performance of a pentium2 only, so compiling would be rather slow?

One problem with SVN within reactos itself would be that i cannot update sources as for now, the network stack still seems not to work at least for me. No ping, no telnet, no ftp, no firefox access to web. I will have to make tabula rasa of reactos one of these days and install it from scratch, and see further..., instead of frequently replacing the c:\reactos after "make install".
DGMurdockIII

Post by DGMurdockIII »

just do a automatic update thing like windows has for the updates to the os an if can scan an see if software is out of date like Firefox and so on or just one for OS upates
DGMurdockIII

Post by DGMurdockIII »

bump
crhylove

Post by crhylove »

Right, but we're all getting ahead of ourselves here. As to running make file and all that, I'm suggesting a very easy GUI so that Lee M Cardholder can easily submit bug reports, crash reports, feature requests, what have you, and they automagically get emailed/posted to the correct person/team/forum.

As it is only a few relatively technical types can submit bug reports and feature requests for most software, and that is a huge part of what is slowing the adoption of FOSS in general.

rhY