ReactOS for AMD64 architecture?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

hyperwind

ReactOS for AMD64 architecture?

Post by hyperwind »

Have we a chance to install ReactOS based on Kernel made for AMD64 ?
How soon?
we have a hard task to make a simple thing
meij

Post by meij »

Judging by the commits some of the codes being ported to by 64bit friendly, though id rather see a stable 32bit ReactOS before people go port crazy. Then again it could be really easy to make it 64bit friendly, i have no idea.
NetSlayer

Post by NetSlayer »

Porting to x86_64 won't be a problem. Simply recompiling will (almost) do. Problem with porting is: Your apps have been made for Win32, so they won't use the 64 bit advantadges => /dev/null.

I think porting to other platforms is the stupidest thing we could do at this stage of very early development. There are simply too many problems to solve, and that takes time - time we need to get the x86 version working.
Last edited by NetSlayer on Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Q: What's tiny and yellow and very, very, dangerous?
A: A canary with the super-user password.
Elledan

Post by Elledan »

NetSlayer wrote: I think porting to other platforms is the stupidest thing we could do at this stage of very early development. There are simply too many problems to solve, and that takes time - time we need to get the x86 version working.
I fully agree.

Developing an application simultaneously on two or more platforms is most definitely not efficient. At most you can ensure during development that it'll be easy to port once you're (almost) done.
avryhof

Post by avryhof »

Elledan wrote: I fully agree.

Developing an application simultaneously on two or more platforms is most definitely not efficient. At most you can ensure during development that it'll be easy to port once you're (almost) done.
There is no wiser advice anyone could give than this. It's nice to see that some people are working on x86_64, but get it working on standard x86 first.

This is surely what we need. At the rate ROS is moving, it should be targeting the desktop user market... These are people who just use the computer for Games, Email and The Internet.

Remember, there are still people out there running Windows 98 and Windows 3.1 Applications... Lack of Win32 applications wont be an issue for a long time, and I see no craze for people to mindlessly jump to 64-Bit chips.

On the other hand, the code should be easily portable...Linux is, BSD is, BeOS was...ReactOS should be.
uniQ

Post by uniQ »

[ Irked ]

It's AMD64 (A64) now, not x86-64, an never was "x86_64"!!!

[ / Irked ]

I'm willing to run in x86 compatibility mode like I am now with XP, untill ROS gets stable and well provided enough in other neccisary fields and then jumps every which way @ 1ce. I'll be ready.

-Q
Coming on, coming up, let me help ROS and I'll be able to look @ a life well used.
Elledan

Post by Elledan »

uniQ wrote:[ Irked ]

It's AMD64 (A64) now, not x86-64, an never was "x86_64"!!!

[ / Irked ]
AMD64 is the marketing name. To developers it's still x86-64:

http://www.x86-64.org/documentation

I also prefer to use the latter, because it's the manufacturer-neutral, most descriptive term (x86 with 64-bit extensions).
uniQ

Post by uniQ »

Alright, but it's still not "x86_64". "x64" works as well.

-Q
Coming on, coming up, let me help ROS and I'll be able to look @ a life well used.
Elledan

Post by Elledan »

uniQ wrote:Alright, but it's still not "x86_64". "x64" works as well.

-Q
'x64' sounds like a bastard version of x86 ;)
avryhof

Whatever

Post by avryhof »

Ok, so I made a mistake, big deal. If people can get away with chatspeak (replacing are with R and You with U and a number of malformations of the English language) in this forum, then I can get away with making a simple mistake.

Either way, the point got through.
NetSlayer

Post by NetSlayer »

avryhof wrote:Ok, so I made a mistake, big deal. If people can get away with chatspeak (replacing are with R and You with U and a number of malformations of the English language) in this forum, then I can get away with making a simple mistake.
I made the same "mistake"; I don't care.

btw: I didn't notice that people are scrambling the English language. Maybe I'm not reading enough. Only thing I've seen is people using capital letters for the first letter in each word.
uniQ

Post by uniQ »

Well, back on subject (I think the only scrambing is in solemnwarnings sig), there's talk on the mailing list of recasting the code [Newbies terms] to make it easily portable to A64 when the time comes.

-uniQ
Jaix
Moderator Team

Portabel?

Post by Jaix »

I have a question? How much work is it to run it through a x86-64 compiler instead a x86 one? Does the code have to change in any way or is it just a daily build that has to be done? If it is really simple I see no reason not to port early so reactos can be made really good in other ports too. On the other side, if it has to be a lot of changes we'd better not.
nothin2g

Post by nothin2g »

when u port to different platforms you normally find a lot of bugs.
Wir sind die Borg. Widerstand ist Spannung durch Stromstärke.
www.wakka.de