Future of ReactOS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

dragonhead

Future of ReactOS

Post by dragonhead »

I just read a few reviews of ReactOS and it sounds like an interedting project to add to my watch list.

I am interested in where the project is going more long term.

The reviews are mentioning an OS reminicent of Win2000, the home page mentions being a build of WinXP from the ground up.

In the future are you looking at WinLonghorn? Are you just going to follow windows playing catchup all the time? Are you going to get to Version 1.0 of WinXP clone (ie. total replacement) and then go in your own direction, or are you going to remain Windows compatible ad infinitum?

And should the project become a viable total replacement to windows can you see microsoft standing by and not protecting it's intelectual property? How are you going to fight in the courts if microsoft tries to protect it's patents or tries to use the DRMA against you?
w3seek
Developer

Post by w3seek »

ReactOS already supports some of the new Windows Vista APIs
wonder cow

Post by wonder cow »

And should the project become a viable total replacement to windows can you see microsoft standing by and not protecting it's intelectual property?
From what I have read, they seem to be guarding against that already. And as long as React does not infringe on MS's intellectual property, MS will not have grounds to file suit.

Just because two systems are compatible does not mean copyright or patent violations have occurred.
or tries to use the DRMA against you?
I believe the DMCA has a provision specifically addressing compatibility issues that would actually work in favor of ReactOS.

But I'm sure that if ReactOS becomes a threat to MS, they will try to litigate it into oblivion. Hopefully, by that time, some big company or organization will take React's side and defend the project.
"I'll rob him of his gold and give it to some poor unworthy slob." - Daffy as Robin Hood
FORCE

Post by FORCE »

Reactos must be defended at every costs, Bill has so much money wtf she wants about reactos YOU BILL STAY HOME AND LIVE YOUR OLD MAN LIFE thats all.....
Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras »

Are you just going to follow windows playing catchup all the time?
Until we get close, thats what it will be but once Reactos is equal to windows they will each develpoe new/better features and then we will see who is playing catch-up!
I see that eventualy they would end up like firefox an internet explorer, both do the same job but each has its advantages over the other, and they change over time both copying ideas from each other always roughly equal but poviding a choice.