ROS and Flash Hard Drive?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Would you use a flash hard drive instead of a regular hard drive?

Yes!
51%
No!
21%
Depends on price!
23%
What is a flash hard drive?
5%

Total votes: 43

tomleem

ROS and Flash Hard Drive?

Post by tomleem »

I read an article on a 32 gigabyte flash hard drive. Would ReastOS be able to install on it and use it? :?:
http://www.bitmicro.com/products_edisk_35_ide.php :?:
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/storag ... 739,00.htm :?:

8)
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
Andrewm1986

Post by Andrewm1986 »

There should be no problem as that flash drive emulates the IDE interface, so to reactos it would appear just as a normal drive.

Andrew
Radhad

Post by Radhad »

But I think it emulates a S-ATA drive because of it's newer technology.
Andrewm1986

Post by Andrewm1986 »

Radhad wrote:But I think it emulates a S-ATA drive because of it's newer technology.
SATA cannot conncet nativly over IDE, and when it does, it appears as an IDE drive.

Therefore it connects through IDE and will be compatable.

Even so, it makes no mention of SATA anyway
tomleem

IDE Drive

Post by tomleem »

E-Disk® 3.5" IDE/ATA Solid State Flash Disk
Here (copied from the first link) shows it is IDE.

8)
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
tomleem

Flash Drive Faster Than Hard Drive?

Post by tomleem »

Since the flash drive has no mechanical parts, it would probably load faster/transfer data faster than a mechanical drive(?). :?:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Flash drives can read as fast as any other storage if they are constructed right.

But can have less write cycles than a normal harddrive. And slower write speeds than ram.

So you will not want someing as trivial as a swapfile on it.

Really reactos does need a few alterations to suit Flash media.

Livecd something like the livecd mode. No disk swap or temp really.

The other speed up is a ram drive. http://cluboverclocker.com/reviews/hard ... /index.htm.

Does not have the write problem. Really does fly. Does have problems with flat batterys.

So cannot win yet. Either enough writes and speed but at the risk of a flat batter. Or limited number of writes with lower speed no flat battery risk.
And slowest a normal harddrive.

Now if somehow a mix between flash and harddrive was done with the correct protections to limit writes to the flash it would rock.
tomleem

Adtron Flash Hard Drive

Post by tomleem »

http://www.gizmag.com/go/6886/ http://www.gizmag.com/go/6886/
"It was just a month ago that we were reporting on the sudden jump in Solid State Disk (SSD) capacity with a 32 GB disk appearing nine months ago, then a 64 GB and a 128 GB drive being shown at CES behind closed doors. With the price of NAND flash dropping quickly, SSDs are continuing their rise with the news that Adtron is offering immediate availability of its latest and most advanced generation of the Adtron Flashpak Family of products, including the IDE and Serial ATA (SATA) flash disk models, the I25FB and A25FB, respectively. The products include the industry's highest capacity 2.5” SLC NAND flash disk drives at 160 GBytes. "

When the price comes down (which it will probably eventually will), it would be neat to see how fast ROS boots from it. 8)
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
Wierd

Post by Wierd »

About flash write life expectancies:

I seem to remember reading that this depends heavily on the actual type of flash memory involved. I remember reading about a nano-mechanical flash memory device that used specially doped carbon nanotubes that mechanically flexed to bridge connections, rather than the electron flooding methods in traditional flash media. The media was slower to write to than traditional flash, but could handle substantially more write operations.

naturally, this kind of electromechanical drive would have its pricetag inescapably tied to the price of manufacture of high quality carbon nanotubes, which I understand is going down very fast, as research into that field continues.

Eventually, they will have them reliable enough to match an HDD's MTF rate, and when they do, you can bet on seeing straight flash based drives.
tomleem

Thanks.

Post by tomleem »

That is very interesting. Thanks for the information. 8)
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy