MoprhOS shell (Ambience) released under GPL

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

HUMA2000

Post by HUMA2000 »

Agg, looking at source it seems to be imposible to port to windows :( so no posibble to ros, only thing it is usefull is to get ideas :(
A-v-S
Location: BAEK CITY (Beek, Limburg, The Netherlands, Europe, Earth)

Post by A-v-S »

MorphOS is a PowerPC (G3,G4) OS,
works on PegasosPPC mainboard (own architecture)
so it is not portable i think (if it uses asm)
"you laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same"

http://www.il.fontys.nl/~andre
Newbie Reactos

Post by Newbie Reactos »

To Overseas of world.
You people don't really get it. Do you?

Communist OS is just a joke. I'm here bring the popularity of Reactos. I'm here to entertain forum. We would react by having "Communist OS" idea. But it's real as it is. Look at Admin, he locked out freedom of speech that is communist. He did it by mistake. He took it too seriously. He will not do it again. I did by mistake too. We both reactos team went wrong direction.

Remember the story about Peter zenger. Freedom of speech. People didn't allow him publish. They sue him for libel. There were people from Europe. Half of them were American citizen. More more america brought his press. He won.

I say or type anything I want. As long as you people don't make weapon of mass destruction OS. I can see REactos can hack Windows and make blue screen. crash traffic light. crash everything.

Now you want to make programmers to do more work here. Fine for me. I was guy who give out part of windows source import for Wine. Reactos took some source form of Wine. I'm not going to import MorphOS into Reactos.
Reactos is part Windows NT clone.

Now, Let's talk about Reactos other than Morphos. If you want to talk about MorphOs than go to Morphos Forum. Not Here!!!
w3seek
Developer

Post by w3seek »

You propably don't understand the concept of the "freedom of speech". You can talk in your apartment or on public street about whatever you want, nobody will care. But you - and not just you - basically no one has the right to speek whatever he/she wants in a privately held media or place. If I invited you and you would talk about communism, I could make you leave. If you want to give a speech e.g. in a mall or in your neighbor's house you need permission of the owner, he has the right to deny your request!

Same applies for this forum. This is not a platform provided by a government or any public service, this is a privately hosted platform and the owner or authorized people can do with it whatever they want - censoring, deleting stuff, ...

It has nothing to do with the freedom of speech. A violation of freedom of speech would be when you get persued by some government or executive branch for publishing written or verbal information!

Enough said I think...
Newbie Reactos

Post by Newbie Reactos »

Ok This is getting too off topic. Are we going to talk about Reactos or something else?

If word "sorry" is not enough or can't take "comic joke" or Pun. I don't know what kind legimate people are you. Reactos is act of OS hobby. Not hacker's tool hack windows and traffic lights or powerplant. Not software heist.

I was one import wine code and linux Kernel 2.1 upgrade. Reactos I realize that thing can hack more than Linux. :?
AcetoliNe

Post by AcetoliNe »

Freedom of speech is very simple: Everybody's allowed to say what they want, but if you're an understanding person, you won't use that to offend others.

Anyway, back to MorphOS:
I downloaded the source and must agree with HUMA2000. It's virtually non-compatible. If we want it under ReactOS we will have to settle for a complete rewrite.
Some concepts of Ambient are interesting, but I prefer the old 'windozy' look and feel of ROS Explorer. ROS Exlporer has it's shortcomings, but it's a pretty nice shell all the same (I use it frequently under WinXP).
caveman LIKES chocolate.
we shall reinvent the wheel until it turns properly.
Phalanx

Post by Phalanx »

Freedom of speech allows you to say what you want, but you still have to pay the consequences (or reap the rewards) for what you say. Freedom of speech will not save you from what you say, it just allows you to say more stupid or great things from outside the box.
Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

Newbie Reactos wrote:I was guy who give out part of windows source import for Wine. Reactos took some source form of Wine.
:?: Sorry I don't understand you.
Newbie Reactos wrote:I was one import wine code and linux Kernel 2.1 upgrade. Reactos I realize that thing can hack more than Linux.

What do you want to say ?
Where do you want ReactOS to go today ?
Link Application Uni

Post by Link Application Uni »

Let's stop arguing... Morphos is great os; Reactos is great os.

Hey, Everyone

I have question most of OS is written ASM, C, and C++. Is it possible to write OS in visual basic (First time in the history) using under Reactos Source?

How do I get that loadros.exe to link Visual Basic??

This is the guy I should be. I'm not afraid to ask question:
[ external image ]
I want change Internet revolution.

LaUnix
Jimmy Lau
Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

No, It's not possible. At least not with the MS Compiler, you would have to write a compiler that creates real executebles (without the need of the runtimes) first.
Where do you want ReactOS to go today ?
Phalanx

Post by Phalanx »

And VB is a too high level language, missing too many features.
AcetoliNe

Post by AcetoliNe »

If you explicitly mean Visual Basic, it's not possible because:
1. A program created in VB is not actually a stand-alone executable; it's dependent on many VB & Windows dlls and methods.
2. You cannot create asembly code in VB, and operating systems need at least a little bit of assembly (doing low-level stuff such as switching processor modes).
3. There are many more limitations such as lack of pointers, no way to call interrupts or output ports...

It IS possible, theoretically, to create an OS in the BASIC language, given you have the right compiler. I think somebody once made a small OS with QBasic.
caveman LIKES chocolate.
bastetfurry

Post by bastetfurry »

Cool! ReactOS is going to look like my old trusty Amiga? *g*
Wheres the 68k subsys so that i can run the best games ever made on this planet? ;)
--
Wir sind kein Mensch und keine Katze.
Wir sind wer wir sind.
Wir sind die Kinder des Zwielichtes.
Wir sind Bastet.
AcetoliNe

Post by AcetoliNe »

hey, Link Application Unix, check this out:

http://www.freebasic.net/
caveman LIKES chocolate.
bastetfurry

Post by bastetfurry »

AcetoliNe wrote:hey, Link Application Unix, check this out:

http://www.freebasic.net/
I am not the reciver, but thanks anyways *g*
QB was my first programming language and that one could bring back some old days of innocence ;)
--
Wir sind kein Mensch und keine Katze.
Wir sind wer wir sind.
Wir sind die Kinder des Zwielichtes.
Wir sind Bastet.