ReactOS in Virtual PC 2004/7

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jones111

ReactOS in Virtual PC 2004/7

Post by Jones111 »

Microsoft has develloped a very popular, good and stable PC-Emulator. It's running faster than vmware and has more features. I'm able to run XP under Vista as I've used it on my older computer a few years ago. It has nearly no reaction time. You work with word 07 or oo 2.0 and when you go to it's window, you can click on whatever you want: The virtual programm will start and work like the one installed on your system. The bad thing is that ReactOS doesn't start in it. I think to get the best performance in Windows with ReactOS, it should be able to run in Virtual PC 07 (Beta free) or Virtual PC 04 (produkt free).
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

I've gotten ReactOS to work in Virtual PC 2004. However, performance was insanely slow. Slow to the point of not being practical to use. It almost seems to hang at certain times. As for popular, well, it's one of the options out there. One of many. All of them can be considered popular, since all have large user bases.
Tachikoma_Pilot

Post by Tachikoma_Pilot »

funny mine works perfectly sweet .... set cpu amd 64 ... 128 mb ram ....
navaraf
Developer

Re: ReactOS in Virtual PC 2004/7

Post by navaraf »

Jones111 wrote:Microsoft has develloped a very popular, good and stable PC-Emulator. It's running faster than vmware and has more features. I'm able to run XP under Vista as I've used it on my older computer a few years ago. It has nearly no reaction time. You work with word 07 or oo 2.0 and when you go to it's window, you can click on whatever you want: The virtual programm will start and work like the one installed on your system. The bad thing is that ReactOS doesn't start in it. I think to get the best performance in Windows with ReactOS, it should be able to run in Virtual PC 07 (Beta free) or Virtual PC 04 (produkt free).
I couldn't leave this without answer. At first, it's not Microsoft who developed it in the first place, but Connectix and MS just bought it and hired the old team. At second, your post look more like an advertisement. I can name handful of features that VMware has and VPC doesn't (both for workstation emulation - 3D graphics or servers - better scalability, paravirtualization), but I can't do the opposite and the speed claims go against any results of my experiments (and I can provide numbers if I'm asked to).

Now to the ReactOS question, I have tested various versions of ROS in VPC 2004 and it worked just fine except the serial port debugging (which is broken by incorrect implementation of the virtual controller in the VPC).
wonder cow

Post by wonder cow »

Microsoft has develloped a very popular, good and stable PC-Emulator
Nope.
it's not Microsoft who developed it in the first place, but Connectix and MS just bought it and hired the old team.
I was going to point this out, yet navaraf did it first.

And as far as I can tell, they have not done a whole lot with it since they purchased it.
"I'll rob him of his gold and give it to some poor unworthy slob." - Daffy as Robin Hood
frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 »

wonder cow wrote:
it's not Microsoft who developed it in the first place, but Connectix and MS just bought it and hired the old team.
I was going to point this out, yet navaraf did it first.
You are exactly one months too late. :wink: