When will you start to use ReactOS for something else than d

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

When will you start to use ReactOS for something else than developing the ROS itself?

I already use ReactOS
8%
This year (2005)
33%
Next year (2006)
41%
Not before 1.0 Release
18%
ReactOS sucks, I will never use it
No votes

Total votes: 66

A-v-S
Location: BAEK CITY (Beek, Limburg, The Netherlands, Europe, Earth)

Post by A-v-S »

Yes, that is a problem, that the installed doesn;t support more primary partitions ... so i have to use a separate machine to test it ...
(my K6 300 Mhz ... )
"you laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same"

http://www.il.fontys.nl/~andre
Obnesence

I voted this year...

Post by Obnesence »

Functional networking is a must for me. I plan to start using ReactOS with the release of 0.3.

ReactOS really will be useful, however, at such time as ReactOS can install Firefox, OpenOffice.org, and utilize dial-up Internet access. Then you will starting seeing people like me (hobbyists) installing ReactOS on friends' machines and giving away free ReactOS CDs (like I do now with Mandrake, Debian and Knoppix).

Obnesence
jeremyk

Post by jeremyk »

I voted when it hits 1.0 because it will probubly take that long before you have directx fully functinal. And the only thing I use an os for is browse the internet , programming and 95% playing games. So once I can play games on it I know 100 people who would use it and get rid of windows all together.
Sami

ROS Update

Post by Sami »

I voted year 2006 myself. Maybe I should have been added year 2007
as on option also. :?

Anyway there is one important thing that has to be implemented in ROS
before I will start to use it. The ReactOS system update feature. I do
not want to install ReactOS every time there is a new version available.
There has to be a way to get up to date without reinstalling.

Anyway, ReactOS is coming better every day :P
e7

Post by e7 »

John Headstrong wrote:linux is not ideal for non computer users
Linux is ideal for non-computer users... Windows is selled/copied so often because all pupils in school learn Windows/MSOffice, and new computer are selled with Windows... If the last few years in schools and selled computer were Linux the most people would use Linux now, and software for Linux were more avaible...
Quigs

Post by Quigs »

actually for non-computer users, ummm...yea
for new-computer users, windows is prefered because it is actually easier to install, but if its coming pre-installed, I have a funny feeling some new user will panic when the user looks at the text when booting up....
But when actually in the GUI its all pretty easy as long as the apps are already there...

Now to the question actually at hand..
When Firefox, OpenGL (on nVidia), OOo work Ill switch... I think thats gonna be this year so 2005 all the way
slyi

ppp?

Post by slyi »

>and utilize dial-up Internet access.
did anyone (arty, etc...) see http://groups-beta.google.com/group/fm. ... r=&rnum=20
AcetoliNe

Post by AcetoliNe »

The important thing is that for more people to use ReactOS, It should not be looked upon as an OS that is 'just for techies', which is one of the reasons that linux has failed visibly at gaining share in the desktop market. Most people think of Linux as hard-to-use, and even though this is mostly not true, most people would not think of editing text files as a productive way to spend their time.
What I'm trying to say is that ReactOS should be shown as 'just like Windows'. People want something they can familiarize themselves with and realize that they can switch to ros with no extra effort or time.
caveman LIKES chocolate.
we shall reinvent the wheel until it turns properly.
RomanH

Post by RomanH »

I voted 2006 a couple of days ago. But I since then tried a recent liveCD-version and I was blown away by the speed improvements since version 0.25. I guess there is good reason to hope that ReactOS could become usable for "simple" stuff (emailing, browsing, text editing, card games, ...) in 2005 already.

at least that's what I hope :)
RomanH
A-v-S
Location: BAEK CITY (Beek, Limburg, The Netherlands, Europe, Earth)

Post by A-v-S »

i hope so ....
if i can use internet (browsing, IM, P2P, email)
then that is good for using ...
if i want to play games, then i can always boot windows
"you laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same"

http://www.il.fontys.nl/~andre
rowa

Multimedia CD-ROMs playable

Post by rowa »

I'll start using ReactOS if it its Netwok works and Firefox/Moziilla is usable.

More importand could it be if it possible to run multimedia CD-ROMs on it.

Hello Marcomedia,
this could be your OS! Maybe on a mutlimedia CD-ROM is a little place for ReactOS as a live-cd. Every CD is runable on it own then.
uniQ

Post by uniQ »

RomanH wrote:was blown away by the speed improvements since version 0.25.
This dudes fault.

-uniQ
Coming on, coming up, let me help ROS and I'll be able to look @ a life well used.
SirTalon

Post by SirTalon »

Most people think of Linux as hard-to-use, and even though this is mostly not true, most people would not think of editing text files as a productive way to spend their time.
In KDE they have a motto "if you have to touch a config file to change a setting, its a bug". With advances in udev hot/coldplug, dbus, hal, and several different things linux is becoming much more automated. I have a feeling that there will be a sort of competition (maybe even war :lol: ) between the desktop Linuxs (like Linspire, to a lesser extent Fedora) and ReactOS in the coming years.

This is gonna be a fun year I can tell, IBM's cell processor and their moves to challenge the Wintel stronghold, QT & KDE 4, GPLed QT 4 for windows, ReactOS gaining more and more features, DBus and Hal automation in Linux, and the release of Betrayers of Kamigawa... somewhere along there I started rambling... and somewhere along there I completely left anything to do with computers... haha

I should just delete this post put I enjoyed writing it too much. Happy new year! I'm only a few weeks late... STOP STARING AT ME!
"People do have a real life." -- w3seek

Guess that means I'm not a person :-D