Is ReactOS planned to be able to play games?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

bastetfurry

Post by bastetfurry »

baldomero wrote: I'm with this idea. ReactOS should not suffer the consequences of monopoly, that is playing wthin the legal rules. Is ilegall make ReactOS compatible and able to install this software? If not, then the user is the one responsible of installing it.
Sure, you cant sue Heckler&Koch for killing people, so you cant sue "The DevTeam" for letting people install DX* ;)
baldomero wrote: On the other side, if someone needs a computer with DirectX, and also needs it to be legal (for example, a cibercoffee), it could be just double work for programmers: one, make directx installable on ReactOS, and two, make an legall and free alternative to DirectX running on ReactOS for those who need a legal working copy of ReactOS with DirectX support.
Not exactly doublework... privat people in their private home can use DX inside ROS, even if MICROS~1 forbids... no sue no judge.
And for all those commercial needs of something DX there would be a team assembling a dx compatible libary that would come with some extensions that DX dosnt has... would be cool if you could install the "ReactOS Gaming Libary" on Windows XP and it would work :P
Moreover, if our libary would be faster!

So Long, The Werelion!
--
Wir sind kein Mensch und keine Katze.
Wir sind wer wir sind.
Wir sind die Kinder des Zwielichtes.
Wir sind Bastet.
Pentiumforever

Post by Pentiumforever »

Windows NT4 include offical DirectX5 but no higher version run on it!

Old games work under NT4 - new not!

Because that i find it real important that ReactOS 1 have full combitability to DirectX 5!
reub2000

Post by reub2000 »

pentiumforever wrote:Windows NT4 include offical DirectX5 but no higher version run on it!

Because that i find it real important that ReactOS 1 have full combitability to DirectX 5!
I think DX8 or DX9 should definitly, and need to be implemented. Those of us who bought DX9 cards need to have the water reflect in addition to refracting. And modern games should be playable at 1280x1024 or 1600x1200 on new hardware. And of course with AF. (AA is unnecessary at those resolutions.)

I do wonder if making it possible to use Microsoft DirectX would only delay a oss implementation of dx.
Pentiumforever

Post by Pentiumforever »

í dont share youre opinion, because the term for version 1.0 is combitability to NT4 - and for that you only need directx5

i think the time that the developer need to write the upper directX libarys is to higt, when he use it for more stability and open source driver i think its better!
Elledan

Post by Elledan »

reub2000 wrote: I do wonder if making it possible to use Microsoft DirectX would only delay a oss implementation of dx.
There's no reason to delay the acceptance of ROS under gamers just because you want everything to be OSS.

Now if MSFT were to pull some dirty tricks to make it hard or impossible to use DirectX on ROS, then, due to the already installed userbase, there'd be a lot more demand for an OSS DirectX version than there is now :)
reub2000

Post by reub2000 »

pentiumforever wrote:í dont share youre opinion, because the term for version 1.0 is combitability to NT4 - and for that you only need directx5

i think the time that the developer need to write the upper directX libarys is to higt, when he use it for more stability and open source driver i think its better!
Hardcore computer gamers know and use computers a lot. They are also stuck on Windows because they like to play games, and they only run on Windows. A lot of them probably know how to program, and may be able to work on this project. A bigger userbase will mean more testers.
Elledan

Post by Elledan »

pentiumforever wrote:í dont share youre opinion, because the term for version 1.0 is combitability to NT4 - and for that you only need directx5
s/NT4/Win2k?
Pentiumforever

Post by Pentiumforever »

@Elledan

I dont understand your posting!

@reub2000

Yes, tht rights. But is it very har to create it, and the gamers will not realy help by the development, and the ppeople they that can are for me the most important users (for versions under 2.0)
Elledan

Post by Elledan »

pentiumforever wrote:@Elledan

I dont understand your posting!
Sorry, it's a Linux habit ;)

What I basically meant is that the compatibility requirements for ROS are slowly shifting towards Win2k, and even XP, so by the time ROS reaches 1.0, it should at least have attained compatibility with Win2k.
Stead

Post by Stead »

usb isn't in nt4 natively from what i remember, but aren't reactos trying to get that working?

hrmmm, suppose they shouldn't bother with that really since it wasn't there first of all, even tho like dx, its incredibly common, and tons of programs use dx now, even those little shadows under the menu's are done using direct x i think in 2000/xp
uniQ

Post by uniQ »

Compatible with NT4 doesn't neccisarily mean it can't have features of later version (Unless one of them is in direct contravention with one from NT4). So it can be NT4 compatible, and still have 2000, XP, 2003 features.(I think).

-uniQ
Coming on, coming up, let me help ROS and I'll be able to look @ a life well used.
Phalanx

Post by Phalanx »

Plug and play is not NT4, like many other things already worked on and implemented. I think that NT5 should be the final target, esp for drivers.
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

pentiumforever wrote:Windows NT4 include offical DirectX5 but no higher version run on it!

Well, technically SP6 for NT4 updated NT4 to directX3 ...

Later, a beta directx6 for NT4 was leaked (and works), and it's true, true PnP didn't appear in NT until 2000 (NT5). I personally love the minimalist approach of NT4 and would like to see ROS work with maximum compatibility of the latest release of Windows (using the latest DirectX and PnP) but still keeping various subsystems (Win32, 16, 64, DOS and Posix/Linux) ...

(and openGL 2!!)
pax mei amici amorque et Iesus sacret omnia
bastetfurry

Post by bastetfurry »

Hmm, whats so hugely different betwhen NT and XPensive that ROS cant be state of the art? ;)

(SCNR for the XP joke)
--
Wir sind kein Mensch und keine Katze.
Wir sind wer wir sind.
Wir sind die Kinder des Zwielichtes.
Wir sind Bastet.
reub2000

Post by reub2000 »

Then maybe the Roadmap should be changed so that compatibility with newer games is part of the 1.0 Release.