Networks; the hopes and dreams of a network admin

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Floyd

Networks; the hopes and dreams of a network admin

Post by Floyd »

Eversince i discovered computer networking i fell in love.

I would dearly like to see ROS Desktop and Server modelled after Win2000's Domain Controller model (using LDAP, or NDS, or whatever). Again maximum compatiblity to allow for Windows clients would be nice, but ultimately I would like to get rid of making sacrifices to the Golden Flag of MS.

I understand that ROS still has a ways to go for this to happen, but I would like to see:

- Server distro with Apache or some other native FTP/HTTP (with SSL support) provider, and some simple SMTP daemon
- Disk quotas
- Distributed file systems
- Windows style network shares
- Policies for Windows/ROS machines and networks (including policies for boot logos, desktop wallpaper, access to control panel, etc)
- Policies for whichever bundled web brower gets included (Firefox!!)
- (easily) Mappable drives :-) (this has made my life heaven)

> bundling Firefox and Thunderbird
> bundling TightVNC for remote administration
pax mei amici amorque et Iesus sacret omnia
Headstrong

Re: Networks; the hopes and dreams of a network admin

Post by Headstrong »

Floyd wrote:
I would dearly like to see ROS Desktop and Server modelled after Win2000's Domain Controller model (using LDAP, or NDS, or whatever). Again maximum compatiblity to allow for Windows clients would be nice, but ultimately I would like to get rid of making sacrifices to the Golden Flag of MS.
I totally agree, for most of tha places I work (educational/ community groups) i need to filter the internet, LDAP fits into the firewall I currrently use ipcop. and keeping the windows machines on the local network is also a must.
Floyd wrote: I understand that ROS still has a ways to go for this to happen, but I would like to see:

- Server distro with Apache or some other native FTP/HTTP (with SSL support) provider, and some simple SMTP daemon
i was planning to use a linux box for this, customed to be the replacemant for 2000 server , I see reactOS has a nt4/2000 workstation replacemant not server replacemant. (why bother when linux is so good at it)
Floyd wrote: - Windows style network shares
- Policies for Windows/ROS machines and networks (including policies for boot logos, desktop wallpaper, access to control panel, etc)

yep, both a must IMHO
Floyd wrote: > bundling TightVNC for remote administration
had not thought of that, i would vote for that has well !
Lucio Diaz

Post by Lucio Diaz »

> bundling TightVNC for remote administration

NO WAY! For security reasons, i dont want a remote access to my computer open in the net. If you want/need it you can always download it, dont force things in people who dont need them.
anarcap

Re: Networks; the hopes and dreams of a network admin

Post by anarcap »

John Headstrong wrote:
Floyd wrote: I understand that ROS still has a ways to go for this to happen, but I would like to see:
i was planning to use a linux box for this, customed to be the replacemant for 2000 server , I see reactOS has a nt4/2000 workstation replacemant not server replacemant. (why bother when linux is so good at it)
There seem to be quite a few feature reqests for server functionality. Correct if I'm wrong (I'm a ROS noob), but like John, I was under the impression that ROS was more of a NT4 Workstation/Win2K Pro equivalent, and not a server OS.
John Headstrong wrote:
Floyd wrote: > bundling TightVNC for remote administration
had not thought of that, i would vote for that has well !
I'm such a big fan of sshd on my OpenBSD boxes, that I ended up installing sshd (via Cygwin) on all the Win2K servers at work. It nicely complements VNC that we typically use.

As Lucio Diaz said though, the more remote access services we have running, the bigger the risk of an exploit. Of course, we can have all these server/administration apps pre-installed but turned OFF by default. For example, OpenBSD starts with only sshd turned on.
Wierd

Post by Wierd »

For a local LAN, Windows (ReactOS) would be able to suffice, but for internet use serving, nothing beats good old Linux for stability, performance, and security.

The real reason for making a "server" flavor of ROS would be to eliminate the INSANE licensing costs involved in having a genuine windows PDC running the show. A ReactOS box that can do that job would QUICKLY find a home in many small to medium sized LANs that have windows clients.
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

Wierd_w wrote:For a local LAN, Windows (ReactOS) would be able to suffice, but for internet use serving, nothing beats good old Linux for stability, performance, and security.

The real reason for making a "server" flavor of ROS would be to eliminate the INSANE licensing costs involved in having a genuine windows PDC running the show. A ReactOS box that can do that job would QUICKLY find a home in many small to medium sized LANs that have windows clients.
Well to be quite honest, I have worked with NT4 since 98 and have a great deal of respect for it. There are niggles that I don't like (such as 100% cpu time for mounting hardware and the occassional random pause) but I like the server. I hate their ungodly licensing scheme though.

And I would like something other than SSHD, I like using Terminal Services for Administration on windows (though the RDP protocol, when implemented correctly, is secure--if you do the research, they broke their own RDP protocol in NT5/2000 on version RDP 5.0 and it is still broken on 5.1/XP). RDP 4.0 on NT4 Terminal Server, after they patched it, worked just fine. Besides, TightVNC has a secure layer to it; also, who says you have to turn it on by default? I just want it included.

;-)
Baldomero

Post by Baldomero »

I don't see what Anything can't be implemented in ReactOS, just wait until other things with higher priority are implemented. I mean, once it gets stable and the hard work has been done, drivers work, it's stable, etc... everybody can implement server capabilities, and other useful things.

So, it could be a good idea to let that door opened, so the day that other things with more priority are well implemented, server functions can be implemented to.

With this I mean, that into the OS code, it could be a good idea to don't make things the way that them could difficult other things in the future.

I'm not a programmer, this is only my opinion.
Toxigenicpoem

Post by Toxigenicpoem »

I agree wth Baldomero.. :) Remember this is a GPL peice of software here. After version 1.0, who knows what distro types of ROS all of us will be making. There will be a distros of ROS with lots of incorporated goodies, just like there is with GNU/Linux. :)
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

toxigenicpoem wrote:I agree wth Baldomero.. :) Remember this is a GPL peice of software here. After version 1.0, who knows what distro types of ROS all of us will be making. There will be a distros of ROS with lots of incorporated goodies, just like there is with GNU/Linux. :)
I sincerely hope that ReactOS doesn't get splintered like linux. I see the multiple distros of linux as something holding it back and not as a strong point. Some variation in packaging is good, but splinter it too much and you start running into user confusion and worse yet, eventual incompatibilities.
Toxigenicpoem

Post by Toxigenicpoem »

I sincerely hope that ReactOS doesn't get splintered like linux. I see the multiple distros of linux as something holding it back and not as a strong point. Some variation in packaging is good, but splinter it too much and you start running into user confusion and worse yet, eventual incompatibilities.

Even if there are several different flavors released of ReactOS, it will not see the same problems as Linux does today.

The foremost effort of bringing ReactOS to life, is to be able to run W32 applications, most all W32 applications are already compiled binarys, something Linux lacks.

Linux was always a compile to binary system, its the way it worked best. And thats where you started to get major splintering, with .Deb , .Rpm and so forth. The reason Linux splintered like it did, is because when it started it WAS not a complete system out of the box.

If you wanted to run a Linux system, you would head to Linus' site, download the Linux Kernal, then head to GNU, and download the GNU system, and then through various headach procedures, you would begin to insert the Linux kernal into the GNU system. This was a very tedious process, then compiled systems and disrobutions started to come forth, making installations easier, and this just sprialed, everyone adding something Linux was missing for the End User.

Don't forget ReactOS has a primary function, to create a Windows compatible environment, I doubt you will see many complications, even after multiple distrobutions are released. There is a base to work from, Windows, where as Linux, didn't have a direct binary, package manangment system, and there for publishers had to create a system for thier target market.
Asraniel

Post by Asraniel »

One thing i hope and that i will insist, is that there will only be open source programms in reactos distros. Because one thing windows lacks are good open source programms. With that, im sure many freeware coders will open source their code to get their programm into a reactos distro
Pentiumforever

Post by Pentiumforever »

Araneil: I think it will be more than one ReactOS distro and this is good!

@all
I couldn't find it goos when you make a Server OS to ReactOS, i think its home should be on a client on a server is linux much better!
frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 »

Asraniel wrote:One thing i hope and that i will insist, is that there will only be open source programms in reactos distros. Because one thing windows lacks are good open source programms. With that, im sure many freeware coders will open source their code to get their programm into a reactos distro
Win32 Open Source Lists:
:arrow: http://reactos.com/wiki/index.php/React ... nager/Tree
:arrow: http://osswin.sourceforge.net/
:arrow: http://os-infoguide.jiz-m.de/