7max memory manager.

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

cmoibenlepro

7max memory manager.

Post by cmoibenlepro »

The creator of the great tool 7-zip (Igor Pavlov) made also a memory manager for windows that is supposed to be very faster than ms one.
I don't know if it works with ROS (it need win2k and ros is based on NT4, but maybe it will work later)

This program is open-source (and LGPL) so maybe it can be useful for ROS developpers...

anyway here is the link:
http://www.7-max.com/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sevenmax/
Delfi

Post by Delfi »

wouldn't it be better to implement this into ROS kernel itself?

all it does is add 4mb memory pages support..
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

I didn't show that link so people will use it directly in ROS... Anyway I don't think it would work...
This program is open-source (and LGPL) so maybe it can be useful for ROS developpers
I meant that developers could look into that source to get ideas.
w3seek
Developer

Post by w3seek »

I haven't even looked at the links yet, but I guess it's just some memory manager to avoid allocating and freeing pages/virtual memory all the time (some sort of memory cache) - i doubt it's useful for ROS - if it works in windows, it should work in ros as well some day.
oiaohm

Main Trick Using 4meg Pages Instead of 4kb

Post by oiaohm »

Really no major caching change just users a different page size reducing amount of thrash when ram gets full.

No reason why reactos cannot have this extra page size coded in as a option so 7Max will not be required. Note memory fragmentation is also reduced by the large page size.

Basicly it explots a trick a verry good trick to use on large memory computers. x86 chips from 386 had this option linux and other OS use it just microsoft lags in this section. Note 16 megs of ram running with 4Meg sections does not work well.
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

No reason why reactos cannot have this extra page size coded in as a option so 7Max will not be required
Maybe my post wasn't clear... sorry I'm not english.
I never said (or wanted to said) that people need to use 7max with ros.
I meant that the Ros developpers could look into 7max source, check the trick that is done there, and can implement memory management in the same way if it is better and still works with windows platform.

I think that link could give Ideas to ros developpers.

thanks
ciao!