(maybe) ReactOS Media Player

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

SwissCM

Post by SwissCM »

SirTalon wrote:I like the idea of using 2 separate media players, one for audio and one for video (though I think most users would prefer only 1).
Well then we should only have one, no?
SirTalon wrote:I prefer them being separate apps because it doesn't feel right having both combined.
Doesn't "feel right"? Please. For the sake of simplicity, which is exactly what we need, I think it would be better if Reactos had a single media player. Windows has one, so should Reactos.
SirTalon wrote:Even though Media Player Classic seems like a very good app, it probably doesn't have enough features for the average user (can it even use playlists?).
It does have playlists. It also supports streaming online radio, CD audio playback, and all the other usual audio player features
SirTalon wrote:MPC is a great video player, but lacks when you want audio.
It supports CD Audio, as stated, and MP3, OGG Vorbis, AAC, DTS and AC3. In other words, it can play all the most popular types of audio that are downloadable from the net. How is it lacking?
SirTalon wrote:ROS needs a media player that supports playlists...
Well yeah, ROS does need a meda player that supports playlists. How did you jump to the conclusion that it doesnt? Have you even used Media Player Classic? It sure sounds like you havn't.
SirTalon wrote:...and preferably a media library (i.e. adds entries about all your music to its own DB, to make it easier to play and organize later.
No, it doesn't need that. Its a useful feature for sure, but if someone wants a media player with that feature they can go download iTunes or something. One thing I like about Windows is that it doesn't include "everything but the kitchen sink". Almost everyone has access to the internet and is free to download whatever they need instead of having some bloated install full of useless options and software that the majority of users wouldn't touch.

What we need is a single functional equivelent to Windows Media Player 6.4 (all the later versions are crap. They continue to support 6.4 for a reason). Media Player Classic fits perfectly.[/i]
loki1985

Post by loki1985 »

hey folks, stop this. this is senseless. what we need is not media player X or Y, what is needed is the supporting libraries/APIs, like DDraw, DShow, ACM (Audio Codec Manager), activeX and so on, cause without this, most media players WILL NOT WORK!!!

and hell, MPC/VLC and all the others can be downloaded like it is done today. and if you want some distro featuring it, then get a CD burner and do it.. ROS is an OS, not a SUITE!!!
DocPheniX

Post by DocPheniX »

i agree whole heartedly the api's are what should be focused on .. think of it this way .. your car wont work without a power source.. your media player wont work without the support apis .. stop bickering about what player is better and blah blah blah ... the important thing is the underlying stuff
AcetoliNe

Post by AcetoliNe »

hey folks, stop this. this is senseless. what we need is not media player X or Y, what is needed is the supporting libraries/APIs, like DDraw, DShow, ACM (Audio Codec Manager), activeX and so on, cause without this, most media players WILL NOT WORK!!!
That's *exactly* what I meant when I started this thread; one big mistake is that I named it 'ReactOS media player" instead of just "ReactOS Media".
What I mean is a full audio/video api, codecs, acm support, etc... instead of just a lowly media player (that any programmer could write in fifteen minutes).
My other reason for starting this thread was to clear up the issue of whether to make a standard mp for the os or leave users on their own. The thread, however, has gotten slightly off-topic.
You drowned?
Kinda. The thing is, when it came to teaching me to swim, there were a million people each with their own ideas (which were mostly wrong), and when I tried it myself, I was going to drown, and then there was basically no one to help me out.
Lots of ideas, very little practicality.
caveman LIKES chocolate.
we shall reinvent the wheel until it turns properly.
mjs

Post by mjs »

SirTalon wrote:Even though Media Player Classic seems like a very good app, it probably doesn't have enough features for the average user (can it even use playlists?). MPC is a great video player, but lacks when you want audio.
It supports playlists - but no media library.
What features are you missing for audio playback?

EDIT: How far is the ACM support?

Regards,
Mark
avryhof

APIs

Post by avryhof »

Ok, how about this. The APIs are great, and should be included, along with a very simple client/container application. No one needs to go and rewrite another media player, there are millions of them out there to play just about any kind of media file you can dig out of the mold in the back of your refridgerator's crisper. (I saw it there)

Microft started including simple directshow players well before MP6, and just added more codec support on when they released 6.

So yeah, all we need is a simple container application that can load the controls, play, stop, and pause the media and that's it.

It's all about using the best tool for the job. Your OS is certainly not the best thing for playing music, there are many fine-tuned applications out there for that..

My analogy: Crecent (adjustable for the picky) Wrenches are fine and dandy, but they tend to losen as you use them. A correctly sized box wrench will always be better....especially if you've been using your gigantic crecent wrench as a hammer (as many do).

So stop trying to build a multi-tool, build a foundry so many well-designed tools can be created.
AcetoliNe

Post by AcetoliNe »

well said, avryhof.
caveman LIKES chocolate.
we shall reinvent the wheel until it turns properly.
Blaskowicz

Post by Blaskowicz »

I agree MPC would be great to include. For WMV/A issue, you could just include a link somewhere.. to the codecs on microsoft.com :)
(BTW I never got any WMV working in MPC win9x, but no problem with MPC NT)
It is valuable to have some means of playing video or audio media out of the box. It can read any piece of audio; and it has indeed playlists (almost no one knows about that, I've learned it here :) ), but that's not the point, it's up to people to install winamp 2.9x or foobar or whatever.

Then, what I think should be important in a desktop environnement is simply a sndrec32.exe :). Very simple yet powerful wav editing program that should be here in case of need.
oiaohm

Where is the base of operation for this project.

Post by oiaohm »

There is a project that could provide the media player now it is going by by due to patent risk. Could be a good project to grab before it dies.

http://www.mplayerhq.hu

Yep it is a media player its windows version is beta but it could provide a equal match to micrsoft media player.
mrsuicide

Post by mrsuicide »

Just look at MPlayer's screenshot page. There is a screenshot of MPlayer on ROS ( I made it ).
[ external image ]
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/screen.html

You see it works.
oiaohm

Mplayer.hu is the best I know of but it need a rescue

Post by oiaohm »

Someone who can rescue it before it dies and restart its site away for the patent problem. Would be good.

This will save alot of development and gets us off to a flying start. Yes it already works under reactos. This would provide reactos with a media player now. With about the same compad as the microsoft mplayer.

Now if we lose Mplayer.hu our next best is xine but it does not have a good windows frontend. Ie has the windows media playing lib and no front end it work it that looks good on windows its linux one looks nice.

Both of these media players use microsoft codecs format. No media player will stand the tide unless it can use them.
[quote]
What I mean is a full audio/video api, codecs, acm support, etc... instead of just a lowly media player (that any programmer could write in fifteen minutes).
[/quote]
Yep I have built one in 15 mins use the xine lib and slap together a front end And it even included DVD and Digital TV. But it looked like crap ie the interface works perfectly if you can stand looking at a non skinable interface because it is text. It has all the features in the world basicly but the worst interface you ever saw.

As most programer will tell you don't start from nothing if you don't have to. Stand on some other project.

Xine has most features internal contained(it runs on linux and windows so it kind has to)
TwoTailedFox

Post by TwoTailedFox »

Instead of working on a ROS-Branded Media Player, why not use an existing Open-Source Media Player: VideoLAN.

This uses an Internal Codec Base (So, no need for an Immediate Worry over Internal Codecs)

From what I have seen, VLC looks like a Veritable Asset for Inclusion in ROS.
elfstones69

Mplayer

Post by elfstones69 »

mrsuicide wrote:Just look at MPlayer's screenshot page. There is a screenshot of MPlayer on ROS ( I made it ).
[ external image ]

You see it works.
That is great that mplayer works on ReactOS!. This is my favorite player for Linux. Is this a screen shot of a precompiled binary? If not was there anything special that need to be done to make it work?
oiaohm

Normal proto binary Yep it works

Post by oiaohm »

We need someone to provide mplayer with a new home if current project location cannot continual as it looks at this time.

Question can it be here we need a media player and one is almost complet. Mplayer.hu beats VideoLan hands down since VideoLan cannot use the codecs that microsoft mplayer users.
mrsuicide

Re: Mplayer

Post by mrsuicide »

elfstones69 wrote:
mrsuicide wrote:Just look at MPlayer's screenshot page. There is a screenshot of MPlayer on ROS ( I made it ).
[ external image ]

You see it works.
That is great that mplayer works on ReactOS!. This is my favorite player for Linux. Is this a screen shot of a precompiled binary? If not was there anything special that need to be done to make it work?
It's a precompiled binary. This schreenshot is from 0.2.5 stable.
The only thing you need to get it working is to use the "gl2" video driver.