Why ROS will not work on NTFS/ZFS/Reiser4/whatever right now

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ROCKNROLLKID

Re: Why ROS will not work on NTFS/ZFS/Reiser4/whatever right

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

I would love it if you guys could get F2FS working. It would be nice to have a open-source flash file system in ReactOS for us SSD users.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F2FS
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

ROCKNROLLKID wrote:I would love it if you guys could get F2FS working. It would be nice to have a open-source flash file system in ReactOS for us SSD users.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F2FS
+1
ssd' become ever more and more inexpensive and
it is by side of fat and ext3 reasonable.

ROCKNROLLKID you could contact they programmers for sending in an patch for Ros.

best regards
Blacky
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

Blackcrack wrote: ROCKNROLLKID you could contact they programmers for sending in an patch for Ros.
I think that would be better if the developers did that and not just some random user of ROS, lol. I wouldn't mind doing a bounty for ROS, though. Do you think the developers would be alright with that? How much do you think it would actually cost to get F2FS fully working in ROS?

Anyways, at least ext2 is getting close to be done, which is "flash friendly". At least it doesn't have journaling, which is useless on a SSD and only shortens it's lifespan.
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

ROCKNROLLKID wrote: I think that would be better if the developers did that and not just some random user of ROS, lol. I wouldn't mind doing a bounty for ROS, though. Do you think the developers would be alright with that? How much do you think it would actually cost to get F2FS fully working in ROS?

Anyways, at least ext2 is getting close to be done, which is "flash friendly". At least it doesn't have journaling, which is useless on a SSD and only shortens it's lifespan.

well, ext3 it is a journaling system and ext4 it is in work..

what speak against if you contact the developers of F2FS
and invide to the irc-Chan of reactos and stimulate a discussion about..
and i guess, there it is not the question about the costs,
more the question if they are have fun and want see it in reactos
for create a patch for a winnt System for include it into reactos..
On reactos can any help if he can c, c++ and so on, this is the well on this project.
Any can help in any possible art.
And i guess also as a bit managing for both project to grow together ;)
("Project F2FS into Reactos")

best regards
Blacky
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

It looks like F2FS is maintained by someone named Park Ju Hygung who is South Korean. He goes by arter97 on the web. I can try contacting him, but I can't guarantee anything.

F2FS backport is written in C, so there is no language issues. https://github.com/arter97/f2fs-backport

It looks like he hasn't touched F2FS in a long time, so I am wondering if he is even willing to come back to it. I suppose if we here at ReactOS email him, maybe we can convince him to come back to F2FS and improve it some more and maybe have him work on ReactOS (I doubt it, but it's worth trying).
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

F2FS was not arter97's work. He backported it for older kernels aka basically for older Android devices. It's work of Samsung.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

Well I contacted them both either way. We will see what they say.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

arter97 is a cool guy, looking forward to his reply. ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

Arter97 said that this was out of his line of work and wasn't able to do it. I also contacted Samsung, which all they kept saying was to call some number which, was a automatic service that didn't know anything about F2FS.

However, Arter97 told me to contact someone called Joo Young Hwang who appears to be a Samsung employee and had developed F2FS, so today I decided to send him a email.

We just await his response now.

If not, I am still willing to do a bounty (after a price estimate first) to get F2FS working, if the developers here accept bounties from users. How much do you think it would take to hire someone to get F2FS fully working in ReactOS?
dark

Post by dark »

It's probably time to edit or recreate this sticky topic as ntfs, ext2, etc. support now exist; but there is still a limitation of only installing on FAT.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Konata wrote:It's going to be NTFS; ReactOS aims for 100% Server 2003 SP2 compatibility, and doesn't plan on breaking that anywhere.
Having NTFS read/write support and requiring NTFS as root FS are different things. ReactOS should be installable onto any supported FS with sufficient features(even UDF).
Two choices exist for btrfs formatting.
  • One of them is straight Windows port of btrfs-progs i.e.

Code: Select all

btrfs command drive
  • Other is mkbtrfs from WinBtrfs.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2