OpenGL

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Denzil

OpenGL

Post by Denzil »

Copy&Paste from IRC

[05 Feb 05 00:15] ** blight_ has joined
[05 Feb 05 00:15] ** ChanServ enables 'Op' status for blight_
[05 Feb 05 00:15] blight_: couldnt wait to get back into windows ... if i'd drink alcohol you could send me beer .... ;-))))
[05 Feb 05 00:16] blight_: brb
[05 Feb 05 00:17] blight_: whats up guys?
[05 Feb 05 00:17] blight_: are you sleeping?
[05 Feb 05 00:17] blight_: OPENGL WORKS!
[05 Feb 05 00:17] blight_: lol
[05 Feb 05 00:18] filip0402: tamlin - nothing is sacrificed, that's how it should work. do you really want to check if 0xf0000000 physical page is occupied by BIOS?
[05 Feb 05 00:18] filip0402: blight_ - are you kidding?
[05 Feb 05 00:18] blight_: no!
[05 Feb 05 00:18] blight_: no joke
[05 Feb 05 00:18] blight_: i tried the NVIDIA treemark demo ... and it was FAST!
[05 Feb 05 00:18] filip0402: good work :)
[05 Feb 05 00:18] tamlin: filip: Just FYI I've now checked bootini options at even sysinternals, and the only stuff it mentions is BURNMEMORY and MAXMEM. No "exclude this range of phys ram".
[05 Feb 05 00:18] filip0402: wow
[05 Feb 05 00:19] blight_: it was not really slower than in windows i think
[05 Feb 05 00:19] blight_: maybe a few FPS... but the big speed improvement is there
[05 Feb 05 00:19] diab0l: whui
[05 Feb 05 00:19] blight_: =D
[05 Feb 05 00:19] tamlin: blight_: Wow! Indeed Good Work(tm)!
Pentiumforever

Post by Pentiumforever »

Cool only bad that the most games use directX :?
Headstrong

Post by Headstrong »

LOL, nice one

but that was over an hour ago why is it not at http://reactos.com/wiki/index.php/HOWTO

:lol:

j/k obviously!!
uniQ

Post by uniQ »

I just hope ppl follow the pattern when adding to Wiki.

-Q
Coming on, coming up, let me help ROS and I'll be able to look @ a life well used.
SirTalon

Post by SirTalon »

Thats really weird, I thought OpenGL on windows just translated the commands into DirectX commands??? Good to see I didn't remember correctly!

DirectX shouldn't be a huge issue, since Cedega (the important parts are LGPL) translates DirectX commands into OpenGL commands and the same method could be used for ROS (at least till a better replacement is made).

Hopefully blight posts screenshots and a guide on how to do it!
GvG

Post by GvG »

SirTalon wrote:DirectX shouldn't be a huge issue, since Cedega (the important parts are LGPL) translates DirectX commands into OpenGL commands and the same method could be used for ROS (at least till a better replacement is made).
I don't think that is the route we should go. Most of DirectX is implemented by drivers. Wine/Cedega can't use the driver implementation 'cause they can't use the manufacturers drivers. ReactOS can and should. Cut out the middle man (OpenGL), DirectX is all about speed, isn't it.
Linuxhippy

Yes

Post by Linuxhippy »

Wine does translate DirectX into OpenGL only because they cannot use the native DirectX-Drivers manufacturers provide.
Create DirectX under ROS should be much easier than on windows.

PS: Cedega isn't GPL!

lg Clemens
Elledan

Post by Elledan »

pentiumforever wrote:Cool only bad that the most games use directX :?
At least you'll be able to run Doom III now ;)
w3seek
Developer

Post by w3seek »

it should be rather easy to implement Direct3D and DirectDraw in ROS, most calls can more or less be just redirected to the graphics drivers (if they implement it)
Asraniel

Post by Asraniel »

can you now, i dont know how, take the wine openGL implementation (wine has more or less DX9 working now!!) and integrate it into ROS so that the DX calls get translated into openGL calls? at least under wine i think this isnt a real performance problem
AcetoliNe

Post by AcetoliNe »

can you now, i dont know how, take the wine openGL implementation (wine has more or less DX9 working now!!) and integrate it into ROS so that the DX calls get translated into openGL calls? at least under wine i think this isnt a real performance problem
Sure it's possible, but wouldn't it be great if all that programming effort were saved to implement DirectX in the flesh? It would be a lot cleaner and faster that way.
caveman LIKES chocolate.
we shall reinvent the wheel until it turns properly.
forart

try this

Post by forart »

DirectX OpenGL Wrapper emulates API calls thru OpenGL commands and other platform specific commands in order to run DirectX 8 application running on other platform than Windows
check it out
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
Asraniel

Post by Asraniel »

AcetoliNe wrote: Sure it's possible, but wouldn't it be great if all that programming effort were saved to implement DirectX in the flesh? It would be a lot cleaner and faster that way.
sure, but i think it would be implemented much faster than a newly written dx version. You could gain time, and like that you would share even more code with wine, wich is also great
mf
Developer

Re: try this

Post by mf »

patchworks wrote:
DirectX OpenGL Wrapper emulates API calls thru OpenGL commands and other platform specific commands in order to run DirectX 8 application running on other platform than Windows
check it out
If it can be quickly hacked in without a hassle, and hacked out just as easily when people want to work on a real DirectX, it could be cool. But is it the thing(tm) for ROS to do right now?
Pentiumforever

Post by Pentiumforever »

Elledan wrote:
pentiumforever wrote:Cool only bad that the most games use directX :?
At least you'll be able to run Doom III now ;)
no i cant my hardware didnt, want ist :lol: