Qemu for Win32

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Elledan

Qemu for Win32

Post by Elledan »

How usable is Qemu for Win32 when it comes to running (testing) ROS?

Qemu for Win32 and MacOS X are listed as Alpha software, so I don't want to waste my time tracing bugs in ROS which later turn out to be due to bugs in Qemu :)

If Qemu for Win32 is not usable, are there any (free) alternatives (aside from Bochs)?
mf
Developer

Post by mf »

I have only two things that don't work in QEMU, and that's the Win311 SVGA 8-bit color driver, and the ReactOS SVGA driver (which simply refuses to load). Strangely enough, SVGA works like a charm with ReactOS livecds.
azeemarif

Post by azeemarif »

We I use Qemu for win32 and Qemu for Linux.

I find the Linux version better but win32 version is also usable. In fact, I tested my first ReactOS build on Qemu for Win32.
Gasmann

Post by Gasmann »

Qemu for Win32 doesn't support cdrom direct access, that means you have to use images. But I can't say that it's unstable or buggy. :roll:
regis440

Post by regis440 »

Qemu for win32 isn`t so good like VMware but it is free and faster then other free emulators I use Qemu with reactos and Slax (with GUI mode ON) on my laptop PIII 1GHz .I don`t have any problems .Good solution for Windows is install MS Virtual PC which isn`t emulator(so is fast) because Virtual PC use real CPU but to only test not develop SO is sufficient.
Nie ma złych programów są tylko kiepscy programiści.