why not make win9X clone?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

niteice

Post by niteice »

Is it just me, or is it window drawing that's really slow? NT4 under VMware flies, ReactOS...doesn't. I'm guessing that ReactOS doesn't have hardware-accelerated windows?
reub2000

Post by reub2000 »

React_dude wrote:Because Windows 98 SUCKS!! I have never seen such a slap together OS, EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!! My fist expaeriance with 98 was AWEFULL!! it crashed every 4 days!! (must have been a faulty motherboard on that p1) My first compy was my moms mac classic, and that thing never quit, then i moved up to a p1 with 95 and i was yelling at my dad because it was asking me a dos question and i hade no idea how to answer it with out a mouse (DOS). than that day MR.John, my neighbor was walking his poodle (never met MR.John before that day) and we became good freinds. I learn'a alot from him with our "Fun" time with windows 98. and if it weren't for that old p1 that never worked out of the box, I would never be where i am) and Now i'm using linux. Not an expert, like windows though. And my second with my P1 MMX laptop wasn't much nicer. My favorite OS' would be (in order of greatest to least):

Linux (SuSE Linux 9.2)
Linux (SuSE linux 9.0)
Linux (SuSE Linux 9.1)
DOS 6.22
DOS 7
Windows 95 OSR2
Windows 2000
Linux (Fedora core 2)
Windows NT 4.0 workstation
Windows NT 3.51
Windows 3.1
OS' I hate:
Mandrake Linux 10.0
Windows 98
Windows ME
Microsoft windows Longhorn build minus 4008 to build 4074
What do you hate about Mandrake 10.0. 10.0 Official was a nice and stable OS, unlike the previous Mandrake 9.2, which made me stop using Mandrake.. Of cource, I prefer Gentoo Linux the most.
chris319

Post by chris319 »

A Win9x clone is a bad idea. Not only is the technology obsolete but it would mean throwing away much of the work already done on ReactOS.

An even worse idea would be making a clone of Longhorn. :wink:
GvG

Post by GvG »

niteice wrote:Is it just me, or is it window drawing that's really slow? NT4 under VMware flies, ReactOS...doesn't. I'm guessing that ReactOS doesn't have hardware-accelerated windows?
Depends on the video driver you use. If you're using the default VBE driver then there's no hardware accelleration. If you installed the Windows driver for your video card then there is full hardware accelleration.
niteice

Post by niteice »

I installed the VMware driver when the setup program asked me to, and can run 1024x768x32, so I dunno.
GvG

Post by GvG »

The VMware driver basically doesn't do any hardware acceleration.
Owen

Post by Owen »

Windows 98 was crap. Thats it.

And blaming crashes on AMD processors?!?! When your Pentium 4 is roasting its way through its heatsink thats got a fan so loud your computer sounds like a jet engine?!

K6s and above have been VERY stable processors, im using a K8 (AMD 64) right now and love it - Its faster and more stable than Intel can make and yet runs cooler at a lower clockspeed.

If both processors were emptying a bath out a window:
Intel would go extremely fast yet use a very small cup and spill all the time requiring it to refill the bath
AMD would go slower but use a bucket and its bath would be closer to the window (It doesnt have the humongous P4 highway thats horrible!)
Owen Shepherd - http://www.humgun.com
Stead

Post by Stead »

i just thought i'd delete this rant incase i started a flame war!

sorry! and about the next 2 posts its because i mentioned my experiance with an old voodoo 2 + s3 trio combination on amd's and intel's from aaaages ago!
Last edited by Stead on Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Owen

Post by Owen »

It doesnt support AMD 64s, and running it on a CPU over 2ghz means it loops arround to 0mhz again :P

And I know that older Intel processors out preformed AMDs - But this was more of a point where they became viable for desktop use.

Today I would happily accept an AMD Opteron server however.
and i definatly remember my old 233mmx outperforming an amd 300 k6 or k5? in everything we tried, and we both had a voodoo 2, with a 2mb S3 trio video card, especially when it come to multitasking, i could run winamp in the background whilst playing gta1, and it was smooth, even on a 166mmx it was smooth, but i never got results that were smooth on an amd at the time
How did you have a 3DFX Voodoo 2 AND an S3 Trio video card? 2 PCI slots?

AMD64s are now catching on - Just not with bussinesses :(

BTW, Just so you know, my Intel P4 2.5ghz (Pre hyperthreading model) gave me case temperatures arround the hard drive (Same HD) of 38 degrees C, my AMD 64 has cooled it to 32 and is less noisy.
Stead

Post by Stead »

hehe sorry, i assumed u was 100% against intel, if i had the choice for free i'd get an amd 64 :) (i probably shouldn't admit to it, its just one of those things that annoy me poeple who don't see things from both sides, i guess i'm a bit like that, i've only bought intel computers, although the amd 64's i find tempting, but the reason i went for the P4 i have now is because of the HT) l

the voodoo 2's were addon cards, s3 trio for desktop, and then the voodoo 2's only kicked in for 3d, they still work in xp but only with glide and opengl, but there so outdated now :( its a shame because its the biggets addin card i've ever seen, memory chips over both its sides, for its whopping 12mb, and it won't even fit in my case now because theres just no room for it!

yea i think i'll edit that post a bit :)
Owen

Post by Owen »

Aah

Yes, 3DFX were good in their day. Used to have a Voodo 3 3300 :P
Jaix
Moderator Team

Win95 a nice minimalistic OS

Post by Jaix »

I must give Win9x some crecit, I still run win95 on my 386sx 16 5M Ram as a intranet server at home, running Tiny Web-Server and VNC-Server, it works good and it is truly minimalistic. On the other hand, I hope for ReactOS will be able to replace win95 in a future because I have to restart win95 each week to be able to maintain stability. But just imagine ReactOS slimmed down to a handy OS running on such a machine that would be soooo coool! Bye bye Microsoft! and Welcome GPL ReactOS!
mjs

Post by mjs »

Phalanx wrote:DOS does not stand for Dirty Operating System for no reason. Just like 9x does not stand for out of 1990's for no reason.
DOS = Disk Operating System
I read somewhere that IBM never wanted it to become an OS - they just ment it as some kind of boot loader <g>

Regards,
Mark
mjs

Post by mjs »

LOst wrote:Is someone here trying to make a point that Windows 9X is unstable because of it running over DOS? If so, you are plain stupid. If there is something stable, it's DOS!
How can DOS be stable when you can write an application that can crash the OS?

The DOS utilities might be written in a stable way - but not the OS because it's simply impossible to do so in x86 RM. I really should know it because I wrote applications for DOS for several years.

Regards,
Mark
Radiomaan

Re: Win95 a nice minimalistic OS

Post by Radiomaan »

Jaix wrote:I must give Win9x some crecit, I still run win95 on my 386sx 16 5M Ram as a intranet server at home, running Tiny Web-Server and VNC-Server, it works good and it is truly minimalistic. On the other hand, I hope for ReactOS will be able to replace win95 in a future because I have to restart win95 each week to be able to maintain stability. But just imagine ReactOS slimmed down to a handy OS running on such a machine that would be soooo coool! Bye bye Microsoft! and Welcome GPL ReactOS!
If your running something that old, you might want to consider freedos.