The React OS core/ compatability ques

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Not really Most distros have a annoying default of disabling drive spin down and leaving on flat tilt. That of course produces more sound. Fine when you want faster responce times. Bad if you want good power usage. Sad bit there is a reason for this. In older machines some of the causes of windows 98 locking up is spindown of drive. Ie the drive don't recover from spin down yet you put a freedos or a knoppix in that does not spin down drives it works pefectly.

You can make windows louder too there is a option to disable it in Windows 98 and XP handy when the system is in hell.

Linux has never really had defrag tools. Most of the tools were built to deal with limitations in kernel.

It is more complex than even I explained. defraging even under windows become kinda useless under larger raids. This is the problem. If defraging file layout was simple it would be done.

As per the normal linux model build the defraging in at filesystem level and use a user level program to touch the file to cause it to be fixed. So that user activity will care for the file system without there actions in most cases.

The problem is you need a formulas that works always for file system organistation. Not one like XP 98... That make some machines performance worse not better due to there hardrive plators or that there are raids involved.

Windows gets around problem by using a special set of api's that require user to do something. This kinda goes against the Linux way of doing things. I don't want to have to do jack to have server stay running perfectly in reasonable condition. Both OS's have different paths.

You will find filesystems like xfs under linux have a defraging tool as part of there normal tools. Because it has a option to disable built in auto defraging.

As a Linux Person I find it equally annoying when a person takes it out of context. To be correct Linux with particualer filesystems is being built without extra defraging tools because the file system is built to defrag as general operation of the filesystem. If you want to add extra forms of defraging it needs to be added at the filesystem driver level for ext2/3/4. Filesystem with built in defraging shake is the general defrag tool for all them yep move a fragmented file and let the filesystem driver sort it out.

Its a Windows Idea that you need those Utillitys as stand alone apps.

Two different worlds. Two different ideas same goal.

For the Linux world you are asking for the wrong thing. What you want is a enhancement to the ext2/3/4 driver to provide file placement management.
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

If that's a myth then it must be bad luck that every Linux install I have I'm dealing with very loud HDs?
Very loud HD under linux maybe because of indexing service, which usually runs once a day, you can try to switch it off or change schedule.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

You're going to have to forgive my ranting. It seems my general annoyance with the behavior of certain factions of the open source/free software community reared its head. As oiaohm can attest to, I generally throw out all reason when I get like this.
To-mos

Post by To-mos »

Quick ques might of already been answered, but any way...wil react os support S-ATA drivers.
Meklort

Post by Meklort »

To-mos wrote:Quick ques might of already been answered, but any way...wil react os support S-ATA drivers.
If windows supports it, reactos will be able to use it.
To-mos

Post by To-mos »

If windows supports it, reactos will be able to use it.
Yes but windows sucks at supporting it...you must install S-ATA drivers from a floppy during install :!:
Meklort

Post by Meklort »

In windows you can slipstream service packs and I'm sure driver into the cd. In reactos, you can always add the drivers you need to the cd.
Also, if the drivers are open source, they may be included in reactos, if not, reactos will most likely have generic drivers for hardware that it needs for an instillation, and you can always add the vendor drivers.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

ReactOS intends to support SATA natively. Considering XP's age, I'm not entirely surprised the vanilla XP didn't support it.