Read this if you've found software useful to ReactOS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

pablorosatti

Re: Read this if you've found software useful to ReactOS

Post by pablorosatti »

So? What if Evince is using Poppler as a backend? If it works is a good alternative... Open your perspective, ReactOS need to be a Windows Alternative, but it never will be real if it doesn't have apps inside, is not the same thing installing a ReactOS with no apps, but a ReactOS with a pack of applications (PDF Viewer, Media Player, System Tools, Browser, Instant Messenger, CD/DVD Burning Tools, Video/Audio/Image manipulation programs, etc.) Maybe in a future all the programs included in ReactOS will be as the project managers want, but now the project needs quickly be usable.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

That particular opinion is not shared by the developers. We do not believe in the philosophy of bundling every conceivably useful application with the OS. It should be the user who gets to choose what they want installed, not have something shoved on them and in the process making the system more bloated. We'll provide the basics to get the user started, but beyond that it really isn't our job. Not only that, we also have no intention of making our build more complicated by including the various libraries one would need to support things beyond the basic Win32 API. Thus any cross-platform app is by its very definition automatically disqualified from inclusion in ROS.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Not to mention that there is Foxit Reader, that runs and is faster than any pdf reader around.
pablorosatti

Post by pablorosatti »

You are using a Samba-TNG implementation that is not a Win32 API or Win32 Native aplicattion but a POSIX application. A network service is low-level and applications are high-level, is more dangerous to include a low-level-not-win32-api-compatible-service than high-level-not-win32-api-program-like-abiword.

:p

Thanx in advance.
zydon

Post by zydon »

I got one good 3D modeling and Animation program which is consider small, easy to use and free. Useful for game model mods, 3d animation for short movie or gif and it's didn't have more than a problem in ReactOS. The only problem is was support for movie encoding isn't there yet for ReactOS.

Anim8or
[ external image ]

It was develop in C/C++. I think kids would like it and it was developed for entry level users that is new to 3D modeling and animations. With the best 3D tutorial site; The Guerilla CG Project (http://www.guerrillacg.org/), the beginners are ready to go... ;)

Highly recommended.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

pablorosatti wrote:You are using a Samba-TNG implementation that is not a Win32 API or Win32 Native aplicattion but a POSIX application. A network service is low-level and applications are high-level, is more dangerous to include a low-level-not-win32-api-compatible-service than high-level-not-win32-api-program-like-abiword.
Umm, TNG is just an implementation of a protocol that Microsoft created. For that matter, they HAVE a native Windows version. The entire point of Samba and TNG is to implement the same services one finds on Windows, so they're analogous to the kind of work Wine does.

zydon, the thread is meant more as a discussion of what apps one could include in ReactOS, not a general app suggestion thread.
zydon

Post by zydon »

Z98 wrote:zydon, the thread is meant more as a discussion of what apps one could include in ReactOS, not a general app suggestion thread.
Z98,

Yes, that is what I meant. To include this particular version of Anim8or with ReactOS. It most completed and portable 3D App come in small size to be included in ReactOS. You could make it even smaller (about 700kb) using UPX. Nowadays, 3D media reaching the level almost as important as Word Processing, Spreadsheet or media player. Peoples don't have to look far away to find a small utility to start making one.

One thing that Anim8or is good for ReactOS is the application would be able to utilize Mesa/OpenGL capability in this OS. Developed in mind to take less resources and follow the most basic core Win32 GUI. No nag, no fussy and not doing unnecessary GDI drawing to achieve it's results. Even a very good tool to show how 3D productivity is capable in ReactOS with very little resources. Especially, when you want to make Demonstration/Presentation about this OS roudtour or something like that.

If there is a couple of free close source applications to be suggested to include in ReactOS distribution, I would suggest these Anim8or and IrfanView. The 2 make the OS completed and look for no more unless you want to upgrade/advancing to higher level professional application in the same category.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

3D modeling and animation is far outside the purview of basic functionality an OS needs to get people started.
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

Z98 wrote:3D modeling and animation is far outside the purview of basic functionality an OS needs to get people started.
Right, and if anyone wanted to, they'd just make their own distro to have a 3D app in it anyway, like with Ubuntu.
zydon

Post by zydon »

Z98 wrote:3D modeling and animation is far outside the purview of basic functionality an OS needs to get people started.
Z98,

When I think of it again, ROS developers team should take advantages of each release to include one or two trial-version of commercial software as an advertisement or marketing plan.

ReactOS probably will be used as free OS under commercial environment when the OS getting more stable in the beta phase. Right now nobody knows which company has lay a silent interest on ROS development. Probably, they had plan to integrate ROS in a small part of their commercial section as alternative platform such as R&D, lower cost or non-profit department. May be, there even a generous commercial company willing to funding ROS development and provide test lab for this OS to get more mileage on it stability.

Then ROS teams should take this opportunities to operate like a free TV channel station. Open a small section in it's distribution or download links updates to get these sponsors trial product to be tested in ROS by users. To limits the distribution only for open source software is not good for ROS future prospect. An alternative OS should offer a freedom of it's uses. This would allow ROS team get better funding with a freedom without limitation from various sources and methods as a returning reward.

What the team need is a marketing manager/personnel which will find and test any commercial trial software that would run with less or no glitch at all and then approach them to make a deal in advertisement scheme or just pure to get development funding if they interested with ReactOS and able to see this OS could improve their productivity and cost reducing results.

Just an idea...
Elledan

Post by Elledan »

I've been thinking along the same lines as zydon for a while as well. To me it seems like it'd make perfect sense to use any kind of commercial support we might gain access to. I've been looking into using ROS for things like POS software already, and it seems to me that there are some possibilities here.

The main question of course is: Will It Run? (tm) ;)
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

I´m still thinking we need the Media & Marketing Team...I´m sure this Team will boost ReactOS proyect finding developers,money and companies support.With always Fireball having the last word before doing anything.
Dunno why this,so important, Team hasnt been created yet, a team which would work as seriously as developers does.Sending Info,Reviews to Magazines,finding Events to show Reactos,creating PPT,videos,flyer designs, finding ways of support , creating viral(funny) You-tube marketing,contacting with companies,finding Devs...always following the rules of the Proyect Coordinator.
I dunno understand why this so important Team hasnt been created, since it dont steal time to devs(they dont need to be in this team).It just can be created by people without(almost) coding skills.
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

Hy,

vicmarcal, good one..

best regards
Blacky
Elledan

Post by Elledan »

vicmarcal wrote:I´m still thinking we need the Media & Marketing Team...I´m sure this Team will boost ReactOS proyect finding developers,money and companies support.With always Fireball having the last word before doing anything.
Dunno why this,so important, Team hasnt been created yet, a team which would work as seriously as developers does.Sending Info,Reviews to Magazines,finding Events to show Reactos,creating PPT,videos,flyer designs, finding ways of support , creating viral(funny) You-tube marketing,contacting with companies,finding Devs...always following the rules of the Proyect Coordinator.
I dunno understand why this so important Team hasnt been created, since it dont steal time to devs(they dont need to be in this team).It just can be created by people without(almost) coding skills.
http://www.reactos.org/wiki/index.php/P ... tions_Team

There ya go :)
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

I went :)