collaboration with Longhorn reloaded?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Robby

collaboration with Longhorn reloaded?

Post by Robby »

Could collaboration between ReactOS and Longhorn reloaded bring something interesting? http://longhorn-reloaded.org/
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

The legal issues arise here, as the code is still valid Ms property. Reloaded guys call it Abandonware, alas there is no such legal status. I`ll ask Fireball about it and try to get some official statement out of him:).
Robby

Post by Robby »

The legal issues could also be a reason for them to switch to Reactos. If I was a Longhorn programmer I would rather take some steps back and build my one code on a legal ReactOS Core than, then put all my effort in something that is doomed to be born dead.

Of course some of the existing code of Longhorn may have to be rewrited for legal reasons. But then there would be a solid base for the future. It could give ReatOS also an extra push. They seem to have some good programmers ...
Phobos

Post by Phobos »

good programmers?.... exactly what did they program?

and, anyways, this was already posted not long ago... http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3959
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

We don't want anything to do with Longhorn reloaded.

You can't break the Windows IP in the way, it's illegal.
cppm

Post by cppm »

one concurs - they look like exactly the kind of code kiddies that RoS doesn't need

btw - why can't I quote?
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

lock the thread for longhorn-reload is clear it is illeagle
mf
Developer

Post by mf »

If they had the source code it might be interesting. But all they're doing is UI hacking an alpha build of longhorn. Even though they have one "developer" I'm sure he's not digging in any of the actual system components. Stuff like KernelEx and 98 Revolutions pack, now *that's* interesting.
It compiles, let's ship it!
forart

Post by forart »

Ged wrote:We don't want anything to do with Longhorn reloaded.
As always i don't agree so mutch with ROS devs... :oops:

There are so mutch many hacks/tweaks/unofficial packs (check MSFN's Microsoft Operating Systems - Software Discussion & Support Subforums to figure out how many...) expecially for Windows 98 that has been abandoned by MS.

KernelEx, Windows Jackhammer, Windows Lupus or Revolutions Pack are just some example of peoples that are interested in improving Windows (even in open source way).

I don't think we should exclude them... we should convince them to switch (look @ my ironical 3ad about RP sources lost) !
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

This is not about hacking UI, its about illegal material they use. Case closed. Please lock this thread.
Phobos

Post by Phobos »

The "hacks" the people at longhorn-reloaded use (that btw, they didn't make, they took someone else's work) were made because the incomplete and unstable nature of the system... and were needed to add some functionality to it.... it's not something that could be helpful... and the rest they have done is photoshoping some stuff together... nothing to brag about

knowing that, projects like KernelEx (and Windows Jackhammer, Windows Lupus or the Revolutions Pack) cannot be put together with longhorn-reloaded, as they are really adding 32-bits functionality to a 16-bit kernel.... that's an awesome job to do and could be interesting to use in ROS, and nobody is excluding them as far as I know
Reacter

Post by Reacter »

How about we don't talk about anything illegal anymore?
More ReactOS, please!
mf
Developer

Post by mf »

forart wrote:we should convince them to switch (look @ my ironical 3ad about RP sources lost) !
I actually read that when I was reading the RP thread, and I find it in extremely bad taste to say something like that just when someone has lost all his work. You should be ashamed of yourself.
It compiles, let's ship it!
Phobos

Post by Phobos »

Reacter wrote:How about we don't talk about anything illegal anymore?
how about we talk about it so more people won't come later and ask the same thing again?

I find it pointless to close the thread, there is no heated discussion, no one is insulting anybody else and talk about something that is not legal doesn't make it illegal... besides, the point as been made, longhorn-reloaded is illegal work... why close the thread?
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

forart wrote: As always i don't agree so mutch with ROS devs... :oops:
You can't take a Microsoft product, alter it and redistribute it.

It doesn't matter how much you agree or disagree, it's illegal.