WinLogon

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

React_dude

WinLogon

Post by React_dude »

Winlogon needs to be implimented so that react os can be a multi user system,
not multi user like win9x, but like windows NT 4.0/2000 login screen idea.
We need a react OS Update. How would we get by wih out it.
Jaix
Moderator Team

Re: WinLogon

Post by Jaix »

React_dude wrote:Winlogon needs to be implimented so that react os can be a multi user system,
not multi user like win9x, but like windows NT 4.0/2000 login screen idea.
Yes that's a good start then it's just to add Terminal Service to make it a real multiuser OS
Pentiumforever

Post by Pentiumforever »

I think tis not realy har to programm the logon screnn much hader it is to programm the user system in the background (DB, ACL, ...)
HUMA2000

Post by HUMA2000 »

Maybe better than cpy the nt users system, ros must give more power to it, more like linjux, so you can work with 2 or 3 user or have the same user logged twice or more times at the same time...
Pentiumforever

Post by Pentiumforever »

the question is: if that possibel with 100 % combitability?

EDIT: with win xp can you work with mor than one user as the same time!
Jaix
Moderator Team

Post by Jaix »

pentiumforever wrote:the question is: if that possibel with 100 % combitability?

EDIT: with win xp can you work with mor than one user as the same time!
On the network you can be logged on as the same user from many client computers, why not in the same computer?
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

WinXp contains a different USER32 model to prevent multiple logins. The XP model supports one local login and one terminal session. ROS could make it more user freindly, akin to Advanced Server 2000 or 2003 where multiple terminal sessions at the least could co-exist. ROS would sink a small niche market of terminal users that Microsoft relies on for a steady flow of income. I personally think the terminal server is as close to mainframe as Microsoft ever will get before they head out to pasture.
Go Huskers!
Pentiumforever

Post by Pentiumforever »

I cant follow you, at my Computer (Windows XP Home), can i change the user to work with one user (User!) and at the same time can User2 unzip a file!
SirTalon

Post by SirTalon »

Thats 'fast user switching', and do you notice its VERY slow (its painfully slow on my 1900+ Athlon XP with 512 megs of ram)?

On Linux I can be logged in twice (or more) and go at very good speeds (one can even be in a chroot environment, so it doesn't share ANY resources with the other user since it would have a different version).
"People do have a real life." -- w3seek

Guess that means I'm not a person :-D
Pentiumforever

Post by Pentiumforever »

That its slow have i notice - a point that ReactOS can make better then Windows XP!

I cant understand how to user logged in on one pc and dont share any resources (or mean you with resources .dll/.so liaberys?)
HUMA2000

Post by HUMA2000 »

pentium: windwos only allow to ahve a user logged once, i mean allow same user log twice like linuc do, so i can have 2 huma2000 sesions and a root sesion at same time.
Pentiumforever

Post by Pentiumforever »

j yet i have it understand!
Stead

Post by Stead »

is there any point to enabling to people to login at the local computer?

i mean, i thought windows xp was very neat that i can do that, but i don't recall once in the years of using it that i've actually *needed* to do it, i showed some people to show you can, but, really, is there any need?

allow multiple people to login remotely i see a point for on the otherhand

btw, on my old PIII 800 with 256 i was curious and messed around with 2 users logged in, noticed no slow down, but the only times i used it was when i was messing around.

maybe an idea would be to let people login but as a console only? any point in that? guessing it would use less resources than have 2 desktops loaded in memory
Mammlouk

Post by Mammlouk »

I leave my computer logged on and using P2P programs all day. It is useful that my wife can just switch to her logon and check her mail without disturbing any programs that are running.
LOst

Post by LOst »

What needs to be done to make Winlogon work like the one in Windows 2000?

Can someone make a list? It would help for developers to know what need to be done.

I know only the part of Msgina. Winlogo itself is kinda hard to get into without getting Windows 2000/NT upset.