Free Publicity to ReactOS -project

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Sami

Free Publicity to ReactOS -project

Post by Sami »

Somebody should make users of Abiword, ClamWin, 7-zip (and other programs that already work in ReactOS) aware of ReactOS project. ReactOS could get free publicity, if the project is mentioned in homepage of other projects.

Maybe someone of ReactOS main developer could contact to those projects and ask if they could mention the ReactOS as supported OS. Maybe there is people in those projects that are interested in ReactOS and would make sure that their program will work in ReactOS in future too. That would be helful for ReactOS project.

For example www.clamwin.com says:
"ClamWin is a Free Antivirus for Microsoft Windows 98/Me/2000/XP/2003. It provides..."

It would be nice if ReactOS is mentioned as a supported OS, like this:
"ClamWin is a Free Antivirus for Microsoft Windows 98/Me/2000/XP/2003 and ReactOS. It provides..."
Gasmann

Post by Gasmann »

But the problem with this is, that when the app doesn't work anymore one day (because of something new that messes up the compatibility) people would get angry on ReactOS as it was said that it should work but doesn't. :roll:
Jaix
Moderator Team

Post by Jaix »

I think this is a good idea. I don't think we need to be anxious about single builds that fails compatibility check, ROS isn't going to be less compatible in the future even though some svn builds are going to fail the official woan't (I hope) and even if one or two does, this will only be a bug.
What is going to be a question though is if the authors of software want to admit compatibility with pre-beta OS.
I think you could send a request to the authors of these softwares you refer to. perhaps some of them will put ReactOS on there supported OS:es list or on the news-pages. Everything is better then nothing.
Sami

Post by Sami »

What is going to be a question though is if the authors of software want to admit compatibility with pre-beta OS.
I think you could send a request to the authors of these softwares you refer to. perhaps some of them will put ReactOS on there supported OS:es list or on the news-pages. Everything is better then nothing.
Maybe I can contact to some opensource projects and tell them something about ReactOS. But I think I will wait for version 0.3.0 before I do anything. :)
Pentiumforever

Post by Pentiumforever »

I think you should wating for version 0.5! :wink:
Sami

Post by Sami »

pentiumforever wrote:I think you should wating for version 0.5! :wink:
Why is that? I think it is important to spread the word of ReactOS, so that more and more developers will join the project. That is how we can speed up the developement :? .
I still want to wait untill the networking is ready, I think it is such a huge step and gives far more value for ReactOS :D .
Pentiumforever

Post by Pentiumforever »

you're riht but we need more combitabilty to software before that, when they released a new version of her programms and it isnt work under ROS it that not good!
Lucio Diaz

Post by Lucio Diaz »

If the software is compatible with windows NT/XP why worry about making it compatible with reactos? It is ALREADY compatible with reactos.

What the OS needs is even more reall good programmers experienced in the win32 system, memory management and OS matters to help the acual developers.
Pentiumforever

Post by Pentiumforever »

Yes, but its not exist a lot of programmers with that skills!
Sami

Post by Sami »

Lucio Diaz wrote:If the software is compatible with windows NT/XP why worry about making it compatible with reactos? It is ALREADY compatible with reactos.
You are absolutely right, but you missed my point. I started this discussion because I think ReactOS needs more publicity.
Lucio Diaz wrote:What the OS needs is even more reall good programmers experienced in the win32 system, memory management and OS matters to help the acual developers.
This is one of the reasons I started this discussion. More publicity -> more developers.
mf
Developer

Post by mf »

*does the regression testing dance*
:D