New reactos start button text

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

antikristian

New reactos start button text

Post by antikristian »

I think that the reactOS should read "React" instead of "start" on the start button, good idea or bad idea?
rastilin

Post by rastilin »

Good idea. Why not just have the ReactOS logo and no text.
cyborg

Post by cyborg »

I think it should make it user-editable like in a registry setting which stands on the start button.
I think the whole GUI should be more user editable.

I think "Menu" is better for a neutral pre-setting. Start is better for people dont know a lot about windows or love the Startbutton already too much. "React" is more for hardcore users, but it would look a little bit childish to have a Menu called "React" in a pro-release for ppl which are migrating and not caring about using bleeding edge MS alternatives.

React is cool if it is in a release which is just for devels and testers like us now. But later on, it would look a bit stupe. Dont you agree? I mean the professional aspect.
mf
Developer

Post by mf »

I think it looks a lot neater than "Start". There's something dynamic about "React". Plus, when you click the button, the shell "Reacts" to this user-input :lol:. In Win98, I always used to edit explorer.exe to display the computer hostname on the start button, however with long hostnames the button got a bit big ;).
Viator

Post by Viator »

Well it would be fine either way start, react, or a logo like in kde. This project is for a windows clone but it isnt pretending to be windows so I would probably opt to have it say react or have logo and be user editable from there i would have programs settings control panel etc i dont think it should be called reactpanel? just saying we dont need to rename some stuff but others should look/be different to say "were not in kansas anymore" lol
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

I vote have a small bitmap for the start/react button. that way a user can change it to whatever they like.
pax mei amici amorque et Iesus sacret omnia
Phalanx

Post by Phalanx »

I vote to do it with xp styles, that way you can use xp skins....
Viator

Post by Viator »

you mean sylexp the program? or in the way xp does? i rather like object desktop especially the object bar. once ros is fully implemented you should be able to use style xp or object desktop but it would be nice to have something like this built in if there are any over zealous programmers out there with alot of time on their hands. :wink:
uniQ

Post by uniQ »

I could definately understand an alternate text, since MS has pretty well copyrighted the "Start menu"/"Start button".

-uniQ
Coming on, coming up, let me help ROS and I'll be able to look @ a life well used.
A-v-S
Location: BAEK CITY (Beek, Limburg, The Netherlands, Europe, Earth)

Post by A-v-S »

Phalanx wrote:I vote to do it with xp styles, that way you can use xp skins....
I like it, to be able to use xp themes, but i think that is something for near 1.0... now we need first more compatibility for drivers and apps,
themes is for later
"you laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same"

http://www.il.fontys.nl/~andre
Phalanx

Post by Phalanx »

viator wrote:you mean sylexp the program? or in the way xp does? i rather like object desktop especially the object bar. once ros is fully implemented you should be able to use style xp or object desktop but it would be nice to have something like this built in if there are any over zealous programmers out there with alot of time on their hands. :wink:
Just like the patched uxtheme.dll. That is more than good enough, but I do agree it should wait for its turn. I know someone started it, but it died quick.
mf
Developer

Post by mf »

Basically, for now, the most excentric theme I can think of for ReactOS is simply a classic theme that manipulates the classic 3D colors for funky effects, as I sometimes do in Windows. For instance, make "3DDkShadow" white instead of black. Themes are a long way from being implemented, at the time the only thing we have is a half-done uxtheme.dll with a shitload of stubs which draws in classic theme anyway. As it's pretty easy to grab a small string from the registry, I don't think it could hurt to make the start text customizable in the registry. Sure, Microsoft doesn't do it, but some slight customizability to keep all the coding, testing and debugging interesting shouldn't hurt.