SMSS.exe CSRSS.exe AUTOCHK.exe

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

LOst

SMSS.exe CSRSS.exe AUTOCHK.exe

Post by LOst »

I want to ask about SMSS.EXE and CSRSS.EXE and AUTOCHK.EXE. I Windows NT these cannot be run in Win32. Actually, I can't start them at all.
They are some kind of native images of some kind. Does they work the same in ReactOS?

How do you compile these exe files? And how do you run them? What dynamic link libraries etc can be used?

And the topic name is to make some people at the "Why not make a Win9X clone" thread mad lol.
GvG

Re: SMSS.exe CSRSS.exe AUTOCHK.exe

Post by GvG »

LOst wrote:I want to ask about SMSS.EXE and CSRSS.EXE and AUTOCHK.EXE. I Windows NT these cannot be run in Win32. Actually, I can't start them at all.
You can't run them from ReactOS Win32 in recent builds either.
LOst wrote:They are some kind of native images of some kind. Does they work the same in ReactOS?
Yes, they're called "native programs". "Normal" binaries run in the Win32 subsystem. A subsystem is kind of a shell around the NT kernel, providing extra services. Native programs don't use a subsystem, they can only use the services provided by the NT kernel.
LOst wrote:How do you compile these exe files? And how do you run them? What dynamic link libraries etc can be used?
You compile them just like normal programs, but in the final link step you instruct the linker to create a native program ("ld --subsystem native" or "gcc -Wl,--subsystem,native"). You can only use functions exported by NTDLL.DLL.